• Register
  • Help

Topic: Liking GS 3.04 - one small problem

Share/Bookmark

Liking GS 3.04 - one small problem

Hey, this GS 3.x is a nice upgrade (just got my two). I have one small problem. I am running MOL+ and have the four ports on both machines working fine, but cannot seem to get ports 5-8 activated.

I have gone into the giga manager and horse around there and also set up MOL just fine (MOL shows all 8 ports). I am able to send 'test signals' back and forth on MOL. Just can't midi control a sample on port 5-8 (I can get a sound when I play the 'keyboard' in GS.)

Can someone put me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Liking GS 3.04 - one small problem

Hmmm. I'm running MOL+ and it works on all eight ports. I'm not sure what the problem might be. One thing I recommend is to run the PCs with fixed IP addresses and filter the messages on those fixed IPs. And make sure to re-boot both PCs after tweaking MOL+.

Best of luck...

-JF

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned one thing that may help make it clearer.

On these two giga machines I have the VSL Performance Tool running. So for each machine I have it set for the Ports 1 & 2 to have legato, rep, alternating, etc. type of instruments. On 3 & 4 all the channels on the tool are set to thru (for cube instruments). All these work perfectly - it is just when I load up an instrument on 5-8 that I can get any midi through (I can play the sound for the GS keyboard though).

Do I have to do anything special on the configuration manager within GS 3?

I have done what you have said - fixing the IP addresses and have the filter dial activated on every port, as well as restarting all PC's.

Any other suggestions possible?

(would it matter if my set-up in MOL+ was 'out of sequence' - eg. I use to have each of these two puters set to

puter 1 - ports #0-3 (4 ports on one puter)
    puter 2 - ports #4-7 (4 ports on one puter)

When I added the additional 4 ports for each puter I did it as such (to save from redoing all)

puter 1 - ports #0-3 (4 ports on one) new ports #8-11
    puter 2 - ports #4-7 (4 ports on one) new ports #12-15

question: could these being out of sequence cause problems. I don't see how as they have static IP addresses. BUt......)

EDIT: I should point out that I have the 'old' MOL (worked great here for 18 months). Do I need need to get MOL CP 2 to make 8 ports work?
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Just in case anyone else comes up with the same problem. Here was the solution. Within GS Config set the ports 5-8 to the "friendly name" used within MOL. Seems to allow midi in on those ports from MOL.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Glad you got it working. I've also got the older version of MOL. I use the friendly name for all of my MOL links, so I never encountered the bug. Nice job of troubleshooting!

-JF

Thanks again Jon for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum