• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Recommendations

Share/Bookmark

GPO Recommendations

Hi;
    I'm shopping for an orchestral library to use in a pop/rock setting. I have a keyboard, but I'm not a competent player. I'm very impressed with the quality of many of the demos, but I'm worried about how important keyboarding skills (both playing and use of controllers) are to achieve comparable results. Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

Re: GPO Recommendations

First, how are ya?
    I wouldn't be to worried about your keyboard skills with GPO. Many of us are not real proficient as keyboardist and we do just fine. Myself, I am a percussionist that thinks he can play keyboard well but in reality just gets by basically. As far as the use of controllers, most of your work will most likely be in the editing process using the piano roll and other editing perimeters after you have played in the desired parts. Understanding how the modulation wheel is used for expression is more than half the battle. Besides, the more you do the better you'll get. You'll be fine and this forum is packed with some of the most knowledgeable people in the field of computer music! You're in the right place for what ever your concerns are. You'll do just fine.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: GPO Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    ... and while mine aren't the best use of GPO ...
    Geezz, they are pretty dang well done for the cripes sake!
    Styxx

I am a trained pianist and I don't use the keyboard. I have a couple good reasons.
    I personally use Finale's Human Playback, which a lot of people don't think is good, but I find the results to be very realistic if it is used properly. There are some things that need to be tweaked, but the result is good enough for me. One must understand that I use GPO as an orchestration tool. Those who want to get an ultra-realistic synthetic orchestra performance will need to break out the keyboard and play the individual parts in to give the human element. Now depending on what is being done, that could get difficult, but since one is mostly playing one note melodies, it is not as hard as playing actual piano music.

Another reason I use Finale is so that, in my mind, I am composing for the instrument I am writing for. I don't want the string section to play something that sounds like it was played on a piano. Some instruments would have trouble with something you or I could play on a keyboard or vice-versa. It is not my style of composing. I just put it on paper (expression.. ie "Type it in Finale). From that point it would be silly for me to play it on a keyboard when Finale will do it.

This being said, the way it is recommended to be used is by way of keyboard. The guys here seem to do very well with this method. I thought I would share an alternative, and to say that I think it works just as well.

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

neoTypic; Sorry for my newby-ness; where do I go to find your work?

Is GPO pretty stable and reliable in the Sonar framework?

Quote Originally Posted by drmathprog
    They play together quite nicely!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I use it with Sonar 2.2, daily. Works quite well. Gary also the same GPO/VST/Sonar 2.2, and as I remember, no problems.

I had some trouble that I thought was cause by that configuration, but I was qpparently quite wrong.

Richard

Hi;
    I'm shopping for an orchestral library to use in a pop/rock setting. I have a keyboard, but I'm not a competent player. I'm very impressed with the quality of many of the demos, but I'm worried about how important keyboarding skills (both playing and use of controllers) are to achieve comparable results. Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks
    Welcome dr,

You only need good keyboard skills for playing the keyboard. Poor keyboard skills in conjunction with a mouse and the pianoroll editor in the sequencer is all you need to produce brilliant orchestral emulations. All the feeling can be drawn into the pianoroll controller window AFTER entry of the notes.

Good keyboard skills can actually work against this sometimes if the keyboardist thinks that good results can be achieved (straight out of the box) without controller and note manipulation after the event. So whilst you may be at a disadvantage with the piano part of a concerto you could, actually, have the advantage with the all other parts. Isn't technology brilliant!

Oh yes, you also need a lot of time and patience!

Frank

I am a long-time keyboard player and I generally use the keyboard to create my parts, using the piano roll for some minor touch ups only. For me, the main advantages of working this way are the speed with which I can create parts (I can easily play 4 parts simultaneously) and the ease with which subtlety and emotion are introduced into the parts.

That being said, a good friend of mine is very proficient at creating natural sounding piano and string parts using the piano roll exclusively (he can't play the keyboard at all). Interestingly, he learned a lot of the tricks he uses to make the piano sound real by examing the midi data of parts that I played for him.

In the end, as other have said, you (can) get great results with GPO either way! The most important thing you need to develop (imho) is a sense for what the various instruments of a real orchestra can and cannot do...

I have never touched a real cello, yet if I create a cello part I somehow know instinctively if what I have created would in fact be playable on a real cello. Weird

gr,
    Jim.
    Jim Offerman
    www.jimofferman.nl

Go Back to forum