• Register
  • Help

Topic: this is the best way to create string ensemble?

Share/Bookmark

this is the best way to create string ensemble?

so is this the best way to create a string ensemble in GPO? I am still getting a feel for GPO so bare with me here/././/

Cloning a track and then going into GPO and going to solo strings and creating your ensemble from scratch, doing this for violins, violas, violin cellos, and basses? then getting the balance right and all that.

or have people come out with great results from using just a preset in GPO, lush strings or Full strings?

Just wondering what people use and how they get it to work. before the producion phase in a sequencer or even just using Sibelius with GPO Studio?

Re: this is the best way to create string ensemble?

Here's a link to Danielle's string ensemble building tutorial.

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html

This is the way to get optimum results. But it does take more time than using the ensemble patches.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Here's a link to Danielle's string ensemble building tutorial.

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html

This is the way to get optimum results. But it does take more time than using the ensemble patches.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    yea I read that and printed it out. If that's the way to get the best results for strings sounding realistic and humanistic then I guess that's they way.
    Thanks for the reply. it is a lot of work, but isn't all production with music?

I usually use the pre-made ensembles, but sometimes double with a solo instrument. Most of the time I stick to the short+sus patches (or whatever the name is). I've had trouble making the "lush" patches work for my pieces, unless doubled with short bows or solos.

I admire Danielle's thoroughness, but haven't gone to that extreme yet. However, I do get extremely anal about velocity, mod wheel, bowings, volume envelopes, EQ, etc, so I might not getting done any more quickly in the end.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

[QUOTE=Skysaw]I usually use the pre-made ensembles, but sometimes double with a solo instrument. Most of the time I stick to the short+sus patches (or whatever the name is). I've had trouble making the "lush" patches work for my pieces, unless doubled with short bows or solos.

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am in the middle of trying to get a string section to work so I am trying out different things in GPO. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Personally I think the best "alternative" to only individuals is to mix solos with the ensemble patches as skysaw said. Least this way you have a little room for start/stop times and all the little nuances that you cannot do hitting a single note on your keyboard using a premade ensemble. Bleh in short as my grammar doesnt make sense.

Mix ensembles with a solo.
    Good idea! yea this stupid music I am doing has a violin and cello as a solo,)aria for violin, cello, and strings) even having more send on the reverb for the strings the violin solo is almost masking the frequencies of the strings)first violins)...I am sure adding a slolo to that ensemble would probably mask it more,,,ahh whatever I'll have to eq and everything else. The solo with Ensemble is great advice thanks Guys!

Go Back to forum