• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Memory Presets

Share/Bookmark

Memory Presets

Does anyone have any documentation about what the memory presets in GS3 actually do and what their differences are? Also, I'm curious which presets are working best for those with 2 GB or more of RAM. I'm currently using Preset #4 which gives me access to just over a gig, about double what I got with the XP Default. Still, I'm uncomfortable not knowing how this is accomplished and am wondering if there are better ways to do this manually than via GS3's configuration manager. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Memory Presets

I actually have the same question..... My PC also has (2) Gig's of RAM. After trying all the presets and then restarting the PC and running the system memory tests, I got the following results:

Total Physical memory: 2046
    Total Memory Available For Instrument Loading: 1534

PRESET 1 (WINDOWS DEFAULT)
    Tested Memory Available for Instrument Loading: 667
    PRESET 2, 3 & 4 (all gave the same result):
    Tested Memory Available for Instrument Loading: 1015 (66%)

I have heard that there is a "mathis" memory tweak that you can do in the registry in Windows that will allocate more memory to GS3, but I'm a little reluctant to try it as I have heard of some users experiencing major problems after doing this (I'm always a little nervous when messing with the registry).

Any advice or addiontal information on how to allocate more memory to GS 3 would be very much appreciated.

The tweaks are really only setting the size of the paged and non-paged memory pools to more appropriate values thus leaving room for more memory allocations from GigaStudio. Giga is the only music app I know about that's affected by this tweak since it's the only one running in kernel-mode. This means that it at least somehow shares the available memory with other drivers on the system. On a 2GB system you can expect to reach somewhere between 1 - 1.3GB of memory (I'd say that about 1.1 is the most common value) which corresponds to 65-70% in GS3 terms. At that point there are other limitations causing the memory allocation to fail and preventing GS from allocating memory up to the theoretical 1.53 limit.

I wrote a small app called "GSMemoryLoadOptimizer" to accomplish pretty much the same registry changes before it was included in GS3. The details for this tweak (aka "Mattias tweak" for some reason ) can be found here http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio. The presets are different as the GS3 ones are based on tests with GS3 and the GSMemoryLoadOptimizer presets are based on 2.54 observations.

Judging from the results you're getting with the GS3 utility you're doing fine as it is now.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    The tweaks are really only setting the size of the paged and non-paged memory pools to more appropriate values thus leaving room for more memory allocations from GigaStudio. Giga is the only music app I know about that's affected by this tweak since it's the only one running in kernel-mode. This means that it at least somehow shares the available memory with other drivers on the system. On a 2GB system you can expect to reach somewhere between 1 - 1.3GB of memory (I'd say that about 1.1 is the most common value) which corresponds to 65-70% in GS3 terms. At that point there are other limitations causing the memory allocation to fail and preventing GS from allocating memory up to the theoretical 1.53 limit.

I wrote a small app called "GSMemoryLoadOptimizer" to accomplish pretty much the same registry changes before it was included in GS3. The details for this tweak (aka "Mattias tweak" for some reason ) can be found here http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio. The presets are different as the GS3 ones are based on tests with GS3 and the GSMemoryLoadOptimizer presets are based on 2.54 observations.

Judging from the results you're getting with the GS3 utility you're doing fine as it is now.

/Mattias

Where were you all these years ???????

Thank you for this !!

mbmb

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    Mattias,

I guess I'm doing as good as can be expected also since my results are the same as tbwmn's results. Still, presets 2 thru 4 give the same result which begs the question .... how do these presets differ? Do they all take an approach similar to your now-famous tweak or is there another approach being utilized here? Since all three settings report the same amount of tested memory available I am unsure which to continue using. Having some sense of the underlying process would at least allow me to make an educated decision between the three as to which is best for my personal setup. I prefer to know a little bit about the gremlins under the hood of my machine.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 1Echo
    Still, presets 2 thru 4 give the same result which begs the question .... how do these presets differ? Do they all take an approach similar to your now-famous tweak or is there another approach being utilized here?
    All presets are doing changes to the exact same registry keys (PagedPoolQuota, PagedPoolSize, NonPagedPoolQuota, NonPagedPoolSize), but with different values. On most 2GB machine it doesn't matter what value you use since you're hitting the other limit I mentioned. Probably this limit kicks in before the point where you would see any difference between the presets. On a 1.5GB machine however you would probably see a difference between each of the presets. On my 1.5GB machines I got better results as the registry values was lowered up to the point where it refused to help anymore (on one machine I was at 99% = 1.21GB and one at 90%=1.1GB). This is incidentally the smallest value included as a preset in GS3. Cutting these pools can have side-effects though such as lack of resources available for graphics or other things. I haven't seen any problems of that type here, but there are people that are reporting some effects. It all depends on hardware, software, weather or maybe even good faith. I simply don't know as the tweak as well as the presets are based on many empirical tests on different hardware. That said, the selection of registry keys to change is not taken out of the blue. Quite some amount of performance monitoring and memory management study is behind that part. Unfortunately this part of XP is not the most (at least openly) documented. In many places there are blanket statements like "highly optimized" or "optimizations based on how the machine is used" etc...

I hope this answered something more...otherwise get back to me again.

/Mattias

Smile Re: Memory Presets

Thanks Mattias.

I think I'll just try each of the presets and then go into the registry to observe the values for the keys you mentioned and make a determination from there.

Chris

Chris,

No need to do it the hard way...

Preset 1: Windows default (automatically determined on system startup) = 0
    Preset 2: 8/800000/8/800000
    Preset 3: 4/400000/4/400000
    Preset 4: 2/200000/2/200000

The values are in the form PagedPoolQuota/PagedPoolSize/NonPagedPoolQuota/NonPagedPoolSize where the quota values are in megabytes and size values in bytes, all in hexadecimal.

/Mattias

Is there any reason to try this on a 1GB machine?

Gunnar

Quote Originally Posted by gs
    Is there any reason to try this on a 1GB machine?
    No, not in any case I've heard about.

/Mattias

Go Back to forum