• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drowning

Here's a short piece I submitted to my editor last night for a film sequence depicting an apparent drowning suicide. The images are very surreal, and I wanted to get a gentle "floaty" sound to accompany them, even though they are a bit jolting (and with a somewhat violent subject matter). I like that sort of contrast... I just hope the editor does too! The temp track he had supplied was much more angsty, so I made quite a departure.

Drowning - 1.28MB

This is mostly GPO, though I also use a custom synth of my design from within Reaktor for the weird "pulsey" stuff. The GPO horns also have crazy delay on them, and are playing very uncharacteristically.

Ens Violin I Lush Mute
    Ens Violin II Lush Mute
    Ens Viola Lush Mute
    Ens Cello Pizz
    Ens Bass Pizz
    NV Flute (x2)
    Horn II (x3 for overlapping notes)
    Chromatic Harp 2
    Reaktor (x2) Using the Atom Smasher synth

I wish I could post the film clip too, but this one he actually wants to edit to my music! I've only seen a rough version that doesn't match up.

Feedback appreciated.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Drowning

Beautiful, evocative cue. Really interesting textures.

I found the vibrato of the lush strings a bit distracting...I would lean towards a more cold, straight tone for this type of mood, maybe just straight muted violins, perhaps a bit of the lush crossfaded in for depth here and there.

Thanks for the reaktor synth, too! I haven't mined the user library lateley and I had missed this one. Check out my Sine Cloud ensemble some time.

UK- teeming with life....

Skysaw, this is so good and really fits the scene you describe.... perfectly. It has an ethereal quality which changes from pleasant to menacing...questioning. Fantastic....great tension too.

Orcas Island

You certainly painted a a surrealistic picture of dread. Love the provocative dissonance and the instrumental textures. The GPO sounds blend quite nicely with the Reaktor sounds.

This is very innovative. Left me with a few shivers.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Wow. I love those Reaktor sounds. Can I borrow 600 bucks for version 4?

Seriously, nice work. I like the blend of non-conventional and GPO. Works really well in this piece.

If it had only been longer.

Thanks for the comments, all.

Email in my box this morning: "Sounds good but I'd like to hear a few other approaches. Could you come up with two more?"

That's diplomatic talk for "NO!"

LOL. Oh well, every piece he doesn't like I get to keep for myself.

Brian, let me know how you like that synth. It's pretty fun to play with if I do say so myself! I'll check yours out this weekend. I think I've seen it listed in the libraries, and already had some curiosity, but haven't downloaded any for a couple of months.

(hijacking my own thread....)

Joseph, through various upgrade paths, I paid a LOT less than that for Reaktor! I actually started with the GPO to Kontakt upgrade, then went from that to the "one-product to Komplete 2" initial offering upgrade, which I found online cheap. End result was I paid about 700 and got everything in the NI Komplete package: Abysnth 2, Reaktor 4, B4 Organ, FM7, Pro-53, Kontakt 1.5, Kompakt, Intakt, Battery 2, Vokator, and Spektral Delay

Abysnth, Reaktor, and Battery have become indespensible for me. I've also used the B4 organ in two pieces, but have mostly only fiddled with the rest. Spektral Delay is very interesting, but kind of blows my mind a bit trying to comprehend.

But the thing about having reaktor along with the HUGE online user library is that it is like having thousands of synths and effect plugins at your fingertips. I actually see no reason to ever fire up FM7, Pro-53, or Vokator, as items in the user library already do what they do, and a whole lot more. I own a number of hardware synths, but will likely never need to turn any of them on ever again.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum