• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Setting proper IRQ assignments

Share/Bookmark

Setting proper IRQ assignments

Hi there,

I continue to have problems with my DAW puter and just noticed that the IRQ assignment has a couple components sharing IRQ's (RME soundcard and my 3COM lan card share #22 and my video Nvidia and a USB host hub share #16). Could this be causing my crashes?

Is this something I can change - or would I be causing additional problems:

Here's what my system shows

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3 OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 7 Printer Port (LPT1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 OK
    IRQ 17 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 OK
    IRQ 20 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) OK
    IRQ 22 RME DIGI9652 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD OK

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Setting proper IRQ assignments

I found out which of the four USB hubs was #16 and disabled that one (moved my dongle over to another). #16 is now only with the NVIDIA card.

What about the RME and Lan card - any issues there?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Still looking for more stability. Does anyone have an idea on sharing IRQ's? Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

what OS? i am assuming Wxp.
    also what MOBO?
    what i do is this :
    on my asus p4c800-e, in the manual, it says what pci cards share what resources.
    so I install audio card in a slot that is free. in the bios i make sure all irq's are free and that plug and play OS is on. also i turn off everything i am not using. this works for me . Xp does some sort of voodoo with sharing IRQ's that i really cant describe.it seems at times there may be sharing but it handles it well.
    once i had a stubborn conflict ( different mobo) between my audio card and he onboard lan. i had to disable the lan and use a pci card for lan instead.

if you don't have the documentation you will have to keep trying different slots till the conflict goes away. also i would contact RME as there may be problems with that MOBO
    hope this helps;
    mike

Mike,

Thanks for the help. My MOBO is ASUS P4P800 Deluxe WXP Home). On page 41 of the manual it shows that slot #2 that it is currently in shares with the Onboard LAN and a USB. In my resourses folder the IRQ's show as listed above.

In the Manual, slot #4 looks like it shares with Firewire - which I don't use. I can disable firewire in BIOS and move RME over to slot 4. What do you think?

Also do I need to uninstall my RME care BEFORE I move it over to the new #4 slot? And then reinstall the driver?

Thanks again Mike.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

generally you dont have to but in this case i would.
    uninstall from the device,manager power down, take the card out,
    power back up. power down again then install the card then the drivers.also make sure there is no weirdness between the card and SP2
    post what happens
    mike

Hi Mike,

I did as you suggest and while I am experiencing a more stable system once it is booted up I am still having boot up problems - first thing in the morning.

Today as the computer starts you get this splash screen (that usually only flashes for 2-3 seconds telling you the CPU speed, etc.

Today it held there (after trying to boot up 2-3 times) and it said:

"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Back up and replace.

(what is this referring to - the audio drive? Could it be bad. Is it bad Ram?)

Thanks for your input.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

the "smart" system is a protocall to warn you a drive is getting bad
    ( i have never actually seen it in action). looks like you primary master drive( your SYSTEM drive -OS ) is about to croak. you need to replace it asap. i dont know you config do you place audio fiiles on a seperate drive? you should consider your integrator who ever sold you the computer- maybe the drive is under warrenty)

miek

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hi Mike,

I did as you suggest and while I am experiencing a more stable system once it is booted up I am still having boot up problems - first thing in the morning.

Today as the computer starts you get this splash screen (that usually only flashes for 2-3 seconds telling you the CPU speed, etc.

Today it held there (after trying to boot up 2-3 times) and it said:

"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Back up and replace.

(what is this referring to - the audio drive? Could it be bad. Is it bad Ram?)

Thanks for your input.

Rob

For backup you may want to get Nortnon Ghost. Then you can make an exact replica of your system drive, but without the SMART errors.

Unfortunately, I believe that Ghost will only copy an entire disk to another disk of the same size. It can copy partitions to different sized disks, but then it won't be bootable as a system drive.

Not to hi-jack (but to take a small side road), does anybody know how to backup, say, a 60GB system drive to, say, a 120GB drive and have the new drive bootable?

-JF

You can copy drives to different sized drives with Ghost which I do all the time at work. The destination just needs enough room to hold the data that's on the source drive. Make sure you have the latest version of Ghost if working with SATA drives and large drives. Older versions are not compatible with SATA or drives larger than 80 GB.

Go Back to forum