• Register
  • Help

Topic: Default directory, can't find library

Share/Bookmark

Default directory, can't find library

Just tried installing GPO and I installed it on my f drive rather then the c drive. Everytime I load up a demo / template from studio or cubasis it wants to load it from the c drive - which doesn't have the sounds. Doesn't let me choose / browse to the f library location. I uninstalled it - can I install on the f drive or should I install on the c drive?
    Bill

Re: Default directory, can't find library

Quote Originally Posted by bnlsrv
    Just tried installing GPO and I installed it on my f drive rather then the c drive. Everytime I load up a demo / template from studio or cubasis it wants to load it from the c drive - which doesn't have the sounds. Doesn't let me choose / browse to the f library location. I uninstalled it - can I install on the f drive or should I install on the c drive?
    Bill
    Can I assume that you are using the original GPO release and not the updates? Well, in any case, that is my very situation...I have yet to install the updates, but perhaps this has been dealt with in the update?

Anyway, I had the very same problem you speak of, and I figured out a "50% cure":
    Firstly, I went ahead and installed the software allowing it to deposit the samples to the 'C' drive (since there is no other apparent option). Following the installation process, I moved the samples to my 'E' drive (where I keep sample data), and then I went into the Windows registry (another assumption is that you are using Windows?). I used the registry's search tool to find Garritan associations. I found where the registry had an entry for samples to be on the 'C' drive. So, I modified the entry to reflect the 'E' drive (and the name of the folder where I keep sample data -- typos are not allowed!).

Now, this was only a half-way cure because:
    * the good part -- I can now manually use GPS studio to load instruments.
    * the bad part -- in a program like Overture, its templates are still unusable because (I guess) it is 'hard-wired' for the 'C' drive. And I suspect that its possible that other apps (like Cubase?) may have similar issues.

But, this has been a good work around for me. In GPO Studio, I manually load the instruments I want...AND THEN I 'SAVE AS...' THESE NEW CONFIGURATIONS TO PERSONAL TEMPLATES that thereon will *always* auto-load (w/o complaint) for me in any future need that I may have for them. So this is a first-step-only pain in the b_tt.

Once my GPO Studio is loaded by virtue of my own templates, I run a midi sequencer or a notation program. The next step, of course, is to configure the sequencer/notation app to point to the relevant GPO instances, and then 'Save As' a template there as well. Then I am good to go.

Now, I have a question!!:

If I decide to employ the recent GPO updates, and now that I've toyed with the system Registry, do I have to change the registry back to program default in order to make the upgrade installation execute properly?

Sorry that in order to try to answer your question, I end up asking a question. Anyone!??!

Correct on all assumptions. Regarding the update Kontakt on the website it does not have a fix for pointing the search engine to another drive other then C. I just uninstalled it, and reinstalled it to the c drive. Too bad, my other hard drive is faster.

I have same problem and talked to Gary (b4 update). He advised me to put GPO on system drive. Remember that GPO as standard loads all of every sample into ram without streaming. You can get DFD direct from disk if required but there is a warning against using it in the update.

I also should like to know - is it safe to move samples to an extra drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    <edit>....
    I also should like to know - is it safe to move samples to an extra drive?
    As I mentioned in my earlier post...Yes.
    But only if you feel comfortable toying with the Windows system registry. If you don't, I don't advise it. And if you don't know what a system registry is, definitely forget about it for the time being.

My earlier question, actually, was this:
    In order to install the recent updates, will I need to re-adjust my system registry to default (and moving my GPO samples from my 'E' drive back to the intended 'C' drive) *before* I try the update process?

The reality is, my C drive is for apps only. And It's running out of space...I'm forced to put my swap file on my D drive. My E drive has plenty of room for GPO sample data (even room for the coming Garritan jazz band updates, etc). So, everything is working fine for me (it's just that I have to arm-wrestle with programs like GPO installers with inflexible options.)

Go Back to forum