• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scoring movies from archive.org?

Share/Bookmark

Scoring movies from archive.org?

Has anyone done anything like this? I assume many have, but does it make sense to download some of those old movies from archive.org and write our own scores to them to get experience with what its like to integrate our sound into picture?

Re: Scoring movies from archive.org?

Great idea Eric. I'm in the middle of projects right now and I think I'll try this out to keep sharp (or flat depending on one's perspective)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Unless a person literally obtains a print of a Public Domain film, and makes his own video of it, there is no such thing as a "copyright free" video, even of films which fall in the public domain.

Hey Bruce,

Always nice to see your comments on any posts, you're always up to snuff in this world of composition/producing/sample libs.

This is the beauty of most/all of the things in the archive.org collection (you should check it out if you haven't yet).

They are published under the creative commons license:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You are warmly encouraged to download, use, and reproduce these films in whole or in part, in any medium or market throughout the world, for any purpose whatsoever except the following:

* You may not sell or sell access to the datafiles representing the films.
    * You may give or transfer them to any other person, company, or organization, but the gift or transfer must be free of charge.
    * You may not sell, represent, license, or charge for access to these films as stock footage.

Any derivative works that you produce using these films are yours to perform, publish, reproduce, sell, or distribute in any way you wish without any limitations.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is not to sell these works, but merely pull them into vegas, strip out the audio, and write my own scores to them, and put them on a demo reel dvd :-D

Actually, the dvd demo reel is secondary, the most important part is just being able to write my own scores for learning purposes. I'm pretty sure its OK based on the creative commons license, and thought it might be a cool idea to share :-D

Actually, they disclaim all risks, and make it clear that in the case of an infringement, you are on your own. Some of those films that are being listed as having a Creative Commons license are very suspicious, and I actually doubt that the true copyright holders did the submission.

I'd just be careful, and attempt to get specific permssion for any intellectual property use which you don't actually own. That erases all doubts. A demo reel is a commercial use. Personally, I err on the side of obsessive caution, but you guys already knew that.

thanks for the insight

Sounds like this might just be a 'for my hard drive only' project

I'm sure you could get permission to score some of these things and use them however you like. My group, BL Lacerta, often gets permission to do live filmscores, and most of the time the royalty is either nothing, or such a tiny percentage of the take that it's no problem at all. I would just do the little extra legwork and actually get the permission. Then you're home free.

Go Back to forum