• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do You Suffer Multitasking Overload?

Share/Bookmark

Do You Suffer Multitasking Overload?

The Seattle Times has a story about the Information Age producing 'cognitive overload which encompasses the modern-day angst of stress, multitasking, distraction and data flurries. "Today, we can do more. And do more, faster. And do more, faster, from anywhere, all the time."

Multitasking — a term that involves "doing, or trying to do, more than one thing at once — has cemented itself into our daily lives and is intensely studied. Research has shown it to be consistently counterproductive, often foolish, unhealthy in the long run, and in the case of gabbing on the cell phone while driving, relatively dangerous. Yet it is also expected, encouraged and basically essential."

Michigan psychologist and cognitive scientist David Meyer asserts effective multitasking is beyond a person's capabilities. "we don't and can't do it well. We can if the tasks are simple and virtually automatic (think walking and chewing gum at the same time) but true, effective, efficient, meaningful multitasking is akin to jamming two TV signals down the same cable wire. You get static, not high-definition.

"We're stressing people out with multitasking demands over time," says Grafman of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. "And it will cause further decline in our health and performance, he says, if we keep it up. "The brain gets confused and looks for default mechanisms. It becomes hard to focus; we take shortcuts."

"We are not only working faster but even longer, and filling our limited leisure with busy activities, leading to an increasing sense of time poverty" Many don't take earned vacations and compromise health, marriages, parenthood, community and social activity.

Do you find yourself doing too much at once? (I certainly do,) And what do you do to break the cycle?

Gary Garritan

Re: Do You Suffer Multitasking Overload?

Gary,

Sorry I don't have time to respond fully, but I'm eating lunch, listening to demos, and in-between rounds of Tangleword on Playsite, while on hold with my insurance company. Oh, and I guess I was also reading GPO forums.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "We are not only working faster but even longer, and filling our limited leisure with busy activities, leading to an increasing sense of time poverty" Many don't take earned vacations and compromise health, marriages, parenthood, community and social activity.
    That's me in a nutshell. Pretty sad isn't it.

I went in to the hospital last week because they thought I had a heart attack. I,m doing ok now however it seams the stress of multitasking is what brought me down. Take heed !

Do you find yourself doing too much at once? (I certainly do,)
    Oh gosh, yes. I got to think of it as juggling or plate spinning, and in that context if you can keep it all going smoothly, it can be fine. But otherwise, it can definitely feel overwhelming.

And what do you do to break the cycle?
    Smash it with a big sledgehammer. Stupid cycle!

www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I too tend to stay a bit busy. Being single, I have a luxury that most folks don't. On Sundays, I take the phone off the hook and spend the day in my robe and bunny slippers in meditation / contemplation, etc. I do not speak for the entire day. I've been in some pretty highly charged environments over the years, and I learned this trick in the late 80s. It did wonders for unclenching the knots and recharging the batteries so that I could go full tilt boogie again the next week (which is the only way to travel, as I see it).

When I was married with children, speaking on occasion was obviously a practical consideration, but they respected my need to go off in my little corner of the house and spend the day in my own thoughts. Actually, what they realized was that if I didn't take the time I needed each week, I wasn't going to be the person they signed up for the rest of the time. But they also knew I was like this before I got married, so it wasn't an imposition, it was just me being who I am.

This is all a bit extreme for most of you, but then, my life has always been an exercise in extremes. Remember, there is only black and white. Grey is an illusion.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    On Sundays, I take the phone off the hook and spend the day in my robe and bunny slippers
    Is there a picture of you in those bunny slippers?

Is there a picture of you in those bunny slippers?
    Don't be ridiculous. I mean, as an author and speaker, just consider how that would affect my public image.

However, lest my credibility suffer...

Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

It's ironic isn't it, but really characteristic of our time and place: the term "multitasking", as you probably all know, comes from computer technology. From almost the very beginning computers were able to do multiple things at once. These machines were meant to relieve humans of tedious tasks...instead we have learned all too well to imitate them!

I, for one, do not do that and have never done it much and maybe I have been fortunate in not having to. Even when I was engaged in the world of technology and management...I chose to work in a university setting, wherein usually individual pacesetting is more respected than in some other sectors of the society.

I guess I tend to think that although we do have individual choice, for most people in today's workforce there is tremendous pressure to work long hours, at the expense of family , spirit, recreation, etc.. There is very little time for things outside ones work, hence the attempt to do things simultaneouly.

Note that in the 1980's with "downsizing", people who used to work 35 hours and then go home are now "informally" expected to work 50 or more hours per week. Also families that could be sustained by one member in the work force, now have two workers. When we are told of the increases in the standard of living for families, this little fact is often left out.

Happy new year anyway!

Ed

In the world of loose ethnic generalization, Italians are often seen as "knowing how to enjoy life". Once I got past adolescent lunacy, I, by and large, have kept my life balanced, so work, play, spiritual development, family and friends have always had a good place vis a vis my work . I do come from hundreds of years of Italian genetic soup...so, who knows!

Ed

Go Back to forum