• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WX-5/GPO help,please

Share/Bookmark

WX-5/GPO help,please

I am able to play and get sounds. Here are two problems:

1. I am getting no volume changes with breath strength changes.
    I am using X-custom and have selected CC2.
    I have not changed any of the setup switch settings.

2. I am not able to play fast tongued passages- simply does not sound.
    I am able to tongue a single note fairly quickly.

3. Not able to play any way near as quickly as the acoustical clarinet, in general. I have only used this thing for about 15 minutes. Maybe I need to be patient and treat it like a new woodwind which needs some small embouchure and key manipulation adjustment, such as between sax and clarinet, for instance.

Ed

Re: WX-5/GPO help,please

Edi,

I do not have a breath controller available to check things but here are a few suggestions:

1. Make sure you have set the assignable slider to +100 and confirm that the WX-5 is actually configured to send cc2 for breath.

2. I would not be surprised if the samples seemed less responsive than you would expect from a real acoustic instrument. This is primarily the result of samples that have included the entire attack portion of the sound. This makes them less responsive but much more realistic-sounding than (edited for speed) attacks. Also, remember that cc64 still needs to be used for slurred passages. This should give very responsive results for fast slurring when activated. Make sure that velocity is being generated and sent. Higher velocities will give sharper attacks.

3. You will almost certainly need to make adjustments to your playing technique, depending upon the chosen sampled instrument. Triggered samples will never be as responsive as the real thing since there are many issues involved in latency - sample attack speed, hardware controller latency, MIDI data latency, soundcard latency, etc. - but you should still be able to get reasonably comfortable results with practice, so long as the various sources of latency have been minimized.

Perhaps others using the WX-5 could give some first-hand advice for optimizing things.

Tom

Lightbulb Re: WX-5/GPO help,please

Some things which may help on the responsiveness:

1. Turn on the "Fast" switch on the WX5 (fifth from the top on the right-hand bank of switches). This does make a big difference.

2. Try softening the sensitivity -- hold down the setup button (just above the right thumb-hook) and hit the "Down 2 Octave" key once or twice. (It'll reset itself to medium sensitivity every time you turn on the WX5.)

3. Try tinkering with the Wind Gain/Wind Zero pots.

It does take a little getting used to, though; to me, it feels kind of like playing a clarinet-shaped saxophone with the wind resistance of an oboe.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Thanks Tom. Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff: I will try both your suggestions.

Can you tell me how you have setup switches 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3 set? I find the text at this point in the manual confusing. For instance, it says that if you are not using the WX output(presumably then you are using the MIDI out , which we are) then sw 1-2 and sw1-3 should be set ON-OFF or ON-ON. If I am reading the accompanying table correctly, this seems to me to cancel the use of CC#2 in favor of either CC#11 or CC#7. This seems wrong to me.

I have sw1-1 set OFF which means "velocity variable". Do you know what this means, and is this the right setting for our use with GPO?

thanks,

Ed

(I can, of course, figure a lot out by experimenting, but there is always enough of that AFTER you have taken advantage of what others have encountered, so thanks again.)

I have all three switches turned off.

When switch 1-1 is turned on, the WX5 always sends the notes with a velocity setting of 100. When it's turned off, the velocity value is based on the wind pressure.

And I think that note about setting 1-1 through 1-3 if you're not using a WX connector assumes that the user won't be transmitting to something which recognizes CC2 messages.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I have all three switches turned off.

When switch 1-1 is turned on, the WX5 always sends the notes with a velocity setting of 100. When it's turned off, the velocity value is based on the wind pressure.

And I think that note about setting 1-1 through 1-3 if you're not using a WX connector assumes that the user won't be transmitting to something which recognizes CC2 messages.
    How are you providing sustain pedal(CC#64) data?

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    How are you providing sustain pedal(CC#64) data?
    Since I use SONAR, I've written a CAL script to go through my MIDI data after I've recorded it, and automatically put down the sustain wherever I've played legato (in the MIDI stream, one note ends on the same tick that the next note begins).

But should I want to do it manually, I'd use a pedal connected to one of my other pieces of MIDI equipment while I was playing the WX5.
    -- Jeff Lee

Thanks again Tom and Jeff. I did everything you suggested and am now on my way.

Ed

Godfrey,

Here's a great link for WX5 players:
    http://www.nortonmusic.com/wx5.html

When I first got my WX5 a few years back, I set up my WX5 just as he recommended and am glad that I did. Some of his recommended settings make it a little tougher to learn at first, but give the benefit of added expressiveness once you are adequately trained.

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Since I use SONAR, I've written a CAL script to go through my MIDI data after I've recorded it, and automatically put down the sustain wherever I've played legato (in the MIDI stream, one note ends on the same tick that the next note begins).

But should I want to do it manually, I'd use a pedal connected to one of my other pieces of MIDI equipment while I was playing the WX5.
    I use Markleford Friedman's Auto-Legato MFX plugin to get the same effect while playing realtime with my WX5. It can detect a note overlap and send a sustain-pedal-down fairly reliably in realtime (it's probably more accurate to say it keeps the pedal down as a default and sends a just-in-time pedal-up whenever it detects a note gap). Then, after you've recorded your track, you can go back and reapply the effect non-real-time, just as you would your CAL script, to capture the sustain-pedal changes to the track. You might want to give it a try.

Greg

Go Back to forum