• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Klangfarben for Messiaen

Share/Bookmark

Klangfarben for Messiaen

This is a percussion piece inspired by Messiaen's music, in particular some of his Turangalila Symphony.

Consider this music for the new year.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...aen_MDrost.mp3

I welcome your comments.

Marko

Re: Klangfarben for Messiaen

it sounds good

I've downloaded this for listening later on - very interested in hearing it - but I'm just pleased to see other Messiaen listeners here. My benchmark for when I can really play the piano is his Vingt Regard - he is a huge influence.

Mark

Thanks lulu.

Mark,

Messiaen's Vingt Regard is an amazing work. I picked up a recording of Pierre-Laurent Aimard playing it and it is astounding. Very inspiring.

Let me know what you think.

Marko

Marko - sorry not to reply earlier.

I like it! I head it merging into a long suspended string chord with the OM adding its character (do you have plans to continue the work or is it a standalone piece?). However, I have to confess that I am not that familiar with Messiaen's orchestral works to pick up the nuances. I listen to his piano/organ works mainly. Therefore, I found myself thinking more of Frank Zappa when listening to Klangfarben (I think it is also something he would have done but for Varese).

On a technical side, can I respectfully ask you to check your meters. I am hearing distortion in some of those bells at about 18 seconds, 21 seconds, the climax between 28 and 35 seconds (and at about 1m40s, is there a big click?).

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I checked those levels and there may have been some distortion around the 27 -31 section. I am not sure if there is any distortion (other than the instruments sound itself) around the 18 second section. The chimes, glockenspiel, and crotales, I suspect, are the culprits. The 'distortion' may also be the sound of the sample itself, especially in the crotales and chimes. When these are played at the higher velocities they are very cutting and bright. This could be the partials of the instrument sound itself.

I uploaded another file and cut back on the velocity in those sections and the overall loudness of the mix.

I did not detect the click at 1:40. I think there's a bass drum thud there.

Thanks for lending me your discriminating ears.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    This is a percussion piece inspired by Messiaen's music, in particular some of his Turangalila Symphony.

Consider this music for the new year.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...aen_MDrost.mp3

I welcome your comments.

Marko
    Lovely.

I did not know that Messiaen ( leave alone Varese) could be mentioned in this forum.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

Messiaen, Crumb, Ligeti, Boulez, Carter, Berio and Cecil Taylor. (There. I said it!)

There's a piece by George Crumb, Makrokosmos III (for two pianists and two percussionists) that I listen to periodically for inspiration. It's a very exotic piece and certainly not for everyone's taste. But the percussion is really amazing.

Marko - I'm afraid I am still hearing some distortion. This is in the (I'm guessing) 7/4 section at 28 seconds through to 35. Every beat has a crackle to it.

I've switched channels to make sure it isn't my monitors and no difference.

If it is distortion, is very quiet but enough to give you that jolting sensation when you hear clipping and have to chase it down.

Maybe you could just mix down 28 seconds to 36 inclusive as a wav and make that available?

Is anyone else hearing distortion?

I am curious. Which library and host is this written in?

Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    Lovely.

I did not know that Messiaen ( leave alone Varese) could be mentioned in this forum.

Ed
    Being new around here, I have to ask why???!!!

Mark

Go Back to forum