• Register
  • Help

Topic: Saw the Post Bos at Guitar Center

Share/Bookmark

Saw the Post Bos at Guitar Center

I guess it's not all that remarkable to see the Post Kompakt Bos at Guitar Center, but it was still good to see a big piano library on a rack there to look at--makes me think that soon all the major libraries will out be out there at music stores.

I do wonder though--will Guitar Center or someone ever figure out that we want to hear the libraries, and not just look at the boxes? Surely it wouldn't require too much--set up a small room with a controller and create some kind of basic computer interface that prevents users from scambling up the sequencer or sample player? Is the long hesitation in doing this a result of good old fashioned resistance to change, or is there a fear of hurting hardware synths still more?

(At a major music store just before the holidays, I sat down to try out a keyboard, and sitting on top of it--I swear--was a printout someone had left lying around summarizing the sales figures for the various departments in the store. Couldn't help but see that over the past quarter, there had been a rise in sales studio gear of around 40% and a drop in keyboard sales of around 40%. Hard to miss the correlation, and the size of these percentages. I wonder if these figures are being duplicated everywhere. Might explain in more specific terms why Yamaha wanted Steinberg...)

Re: Saw the Post Bos at Guitar Center

Yeah I never see any sampler setups in Guitar Center. It's probably due to several factors, such as, staff not knowing how to set it up and use them and the fact that they would rather try to sell you a hardware model. I purchased a Yamaha Motif recently but then took it back because I realized my computer setup was far more flexible and expandable not to mention it sounds better.
    Once you buy a hardware keyboard you are basically stuck with the sounds it comes with. Sure if you are playing live you need some kind of keyboard or a controller and laptop if you are adventerous.

Cheers,
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I guess it's not all that remarkable to see the Post Kompakt Bos at Guitar Center, but it was still good to see a big piano library on a rack there to look at--makes me think that soon all the major libraries will out be out there at music stores.

I do wonder though--will Guitar Center or someone ever figure out that we want to hear the libraries, and not just look at the boxes? Surely it wouldn't require too much--set up a small room with a controller and create some kind of basic computer interface that prevents users from scambling up the sequencer or sample player? Is the long hesitation in doing this a result of good old fashioned resistance to change, or is there a fear of hurting hardware synths still more?

(At a major music store just before the holidays, I sat down to try out a keyboard, and sitting on top of it--I swear--was a printout someone had left lying around summarizing the sales figures for the various departments in the store. Couldn't help but see that over the past quarter, there had been a rise in sales studio gear of around 40% and a drop in keyboard sales of around 40%. Hard to miss the correlation, and the size of these percentages. I wonder if these figures are being duplicated everywhere. Might explain in more specific terms why Yamaha wanted Steinberg...)
    Hey Jake,

It took us a year to get the racks in there and it will probably take us most of 2005 to get demo facilities in there as well but we're making progress.

- Doug

From Big Fish Audios site:

"Listening Center:
    Check out the Big Fish Audio Listening Centers at top music stores nationwide, including Guitar Center, Sam Ash Music, Manny's Music, West L. A. Music, Bananas At Large and many others. These Listening Centers feature an extensive selection of our discs, so you can audition before you buy."

So, you should soon be able to check out both the White & Black Grand there!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Doug and Worra:

Great news. This will really increase the likelihood of my buying more pianos.

Worra--I didn't see the setup you mention at the two Guitar Centers here in Atlanta. It's possible I walked right by them, though--they have a set of rack units and sample sets, but it's sometime impossible (for me at least) to figure out how to get one of the racks or sample sets to play, and the area is of course crowded, and there's usually no advertising at all for the sample sets near the stack of racks. I hope the situation gets better soon, with a real booth or room, and clear signs about what sample sets you can listen to, and maybe a binder with pages from the developers giving the specs.

I can't help thinking that an arrangement like this would greatly increase the sales of multisamples and sample players. I can imagine a situation in a very few years where the keyboard makers won't suffer all that much either. They just have to start attaching big hard drives and lots of RAM to their keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Doug and Worra:

Great news. This will really increase the likelihood of my buying more pianos.

Worra--I didn't see the setup you mention at the two Guitar Centers here in Atlanta. It's possible I walked right by them, though--they have a set of rack units and sample sets, but it's sometime impossible (for me at least) to figure out how to get one of the racks or sample sets to play, and the area is of course crowded, and there's usually no advertising at all for the sample sets near the stack of racks. I hope the situation gets better soon, with a real booth or room, and clear signs about what sample sets you can listen to, and maybe a binder with pages from the developers giving the specs.

I can't help thinking that an arrangement like this would greatly increase the sales of multisamples and sample players. I can imagine a situation in a very few years where the keyboard makers won't suffer all that much either. They just have to start attaching big hard drives and lots of RAM to their keyboards.
    I think Worra's referring to the audio CD listening stations that BFA have had for years (us too) - what I'm referring to is a computer setup so customers can audition the virtual instruments on keyboards.

That's what you mean isn't it Jake?

Btw, our racks in GC have the free virtual instrument sampler CD available which you can take home.

- Doug

Go Back to forum