• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bliain nua faoi mhaise oraibh seo!

Share/Bookmark

Bliain nua faoi mhaise oraibh seo!

a happy new year to all here

that's gaelic in the title.

hoping for other esoteric languages. klingon or some such.

mick ó c

Re: Bliain nua faoi mhaise oraibh seo!

apphay ewnay earyay

eeday eepay anday

Talking Re: Bliain nua faoi mhaise oraibh seo!

Szczesliwego nowego roku 2005

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uensdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny imrmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thoghut slpelnig was ipmornat!

Translation - I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. The phenomenal power of the muman mind. According to reaseachers at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter what order the letters in the word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total miss mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing huh? Yeah, and I always thought spelling was important.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uensdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny imrmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thoghut slpelnig was ipmornat!
    I was stunned when I realized I was able to speed-read my way right through that...

Seems to me that research was spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Translation - I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. The phenomenal power of the muman mind. According to reaseachers at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter what order the letters in the word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total miss mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing huh? Yeah, and I always thought spelling was important.
    That’s not what I got. I translated it to read:

Brian2112 is great. Brian2112 is always right and you should listen to him. He is truly amazing (and modest about it too). Send cash to Brian2112. Give him anything he wants. The world owes Brian2112.Brian2112 is you friend.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

LOL - well of course it looses a little bit in the translation.

Quite amazing. The study probably assumes that the reader is good reader, one who reads in large part by the silhouette or shape of the word, and does not have to plod through letter by letter and is good at inductive/deductive reasoning. It also assumes the ability to penetrate directy to the heart of the matter and not be distracted by annoying irrelevant details.

It also explains how so many typos can escape editing. I hardly read a book these days without noticing some typos that make me cringe.

Gary, would you post your source for this study? I would like to pursue it further. It fortuitiously relates to some thoughts on grammar errors, spelling that I was thinking about this afternoon between cups of French Roast Coffee. It is quite an interesting subject to me.

Richard

apart from the fact that i think i was pronouncing my words like that after numerous glasses of whiskey welcoming the new year in last night, i've been seeing examples of this everywhere in the last month or so. i've even seen it here in dutch and in german on the tv. it seems to me that a trend is developing. could it finally be that Dylsexia Relus KO!

mick ó c

Go Back to forum