• Register
  • Help

Topic: more details on stuck notes GS 3.04

Share/Bookmark

more details on stuck notes GS 3.04

SInce stuck notes haven't gone away for me, perhaps some programmer or qa person at tascam may notice these few comments:

the stuck notes seem to be specific to a situation where there is incoming audio data to the sound card and where there is ethernet-based midi data coming to gigastudio at the same time.

Some of the stuck note data seems to be at pitches that are not appropriate to the track in which they show up -- as if notes from a different channel are dropped into the stuck note channel.

So ... it seems that it is the 'non-kernel' midi, and that a thread gets hung up on waiting for the sound card (audio in), then finishes its work on the wrong channel. I am using Sonar, which sends note velocity zero rather than note off commands, and m-audio audiophile 24/96 with the gsif/2 driver (but not using audio input to gigastudio, nor any gigastudio effects at all).

Hope this registers somewhere and helps ... and no, I haven't called customer service, it just doesn't seem worth the effort for how little response others have reported.

Re: more details on stuck notes GS 3.04

This seems a bit different than the stuck note problem I had been experiencing with earlier versions. In my case I would play a note, change program/bank, release the note... but it would still play. I haven't done program changes on my recent work, so I haven't confirmed if this is fixed for me with 3.04.

I have confirmed that iMIDI now works 100% for the VSL legato demos. In the process they fixed a bug that I was hoping to exploit.

In earlier versions if you stack a legato instrument with a non-legato instrument, Giga would apply the iMIDI legato to that instrument. Here's an example: stack the VSL legato clarinet with any old sustain violin. Set the volume of the clarinet to zero. Play within the clarinet's octave. You will hear the violin, and the notes will not overlap. You don't get any transition notes, obviously, but the result is interesting. Again, this doesn't work for 3.04. It worked for earlier versions, but only from some controllers/sequencers.

It would be interesting to experiement with iMIDI legato - even without the transition notes. It may not be perfect, but if it spices up existiing libs, that's cool.

Anyway it seems that GS3.04 hyas made some good improvements with MIDI, though maybe not 100%, based on Gugliel's observations.

-JF

I have been getting stuck notes in simpler setups. The most surprising of which was using two keyboards through the VSL performance tool - one playing Violin legato and the other playing Cello legato. Since the performance tool would be correcting my poor playing to ensure a single note legato performance (from each instrument), I was surprised to find stuck notes occurring.

Still getting intermittent stuck notes here, which is most annoying. Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon

Mal

I had the same problem BOTH with Giga and Kontakt while using MidiOverLan, so I figure the problem is there and not w. Giga.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    SInce stuck notes haven't gone away for me, perhaps some programmer or qa person at tascam may notice these few comments:

the stuck notes seem to be specific to a situation where there is incoming audio data to the sound card and where there is ethernet-based midi data coming to gigastudio at the same time.

Some of the stuck note data seems to be at pitches that are not appropriate to the track in which they show up -- as if notes from a different channel are dropped into the stuck note channel.

So ... it seems that it is the 'non-kernel' midi, and that a thread gets hung up on waiting for the sound card (audio in), then finishes its work on the wrong channel. I am using Sonar, which sends note velocity zero rather than note off commands, and m-audio audiophile 24/96 with the gsif/2 driver (but not using audio input to gigastudio, nor any gigastudio effects at all).

Hope this registers somewhere and helps ... and no, I haven't called customer service, it just doesn't seem worth the effort for how little response others have reported.

If you are using MOL, the programmer could use these comments; he's supposed to be looking into this for the next release. (I had the same stuck notes problem w. Kontakt, so it seems the issue is not Giga).

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel

Just a note, I do NOT use MOL -- I use the midi utilities for windows plus midi yoke and maple midi. This may indicate the problem is in gigastudio's 'non-kernal' midi implementation (sounds like a pretty bad idea to have two midi implementations, by the way).

I occasionally get stuck notes using Sibelius with GS 3.04 (i.e. has the latest update installed) orchestra version. No MIDI keyboard is used to input notes - they are input directly into the score using Sibelius. I NEVER had a stuck note using Sibelius with any version of GS 2. The same operating system (Windows XP), sound card (Audiophile 24/96), and version of Sibleius were used with both GS 2.x and GS 3.0. Given this (about as simple as you can get) configuration and other (more complex) configurations posted on this forum it seems fairly conclusive that the problem lies solely within GS 3. Please fix this problem! Overall, IMO, GS 3.0 is an excellent product and is a significant improvement over GS 2.5.

Go Back to forum