• Register
  • Help

Topic: Swing are bandleader Artie Shaw dies at 94.

Share/Bookmark

Swing are bandleader Artie Shaw dies at 94.

Buffalo News:
    Artie Shaw, the dynamic swing era icon who abruptly quit the music business in 1954, died Thursday at his home in Thousand Oaks, California. Shaw's music sold more than 100 million records with hits including Cole Porter's "Begin the Bequine" and Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust."
    The former band leader was 94.
    We shall truly miss this icon of the swing era who contributed so much to the world of jazz and music altogether.
    Styxx

Re: Swing are bandleader Artie Shaw dies at 94.

Hmmm, I guess no one knew who Artie Shaw was.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hi Styxx, you know, I remember his name but couldn't place it. Now I know who you mean. When we all pass on.... hopefully something we did, or said, or maybe how we lived will give someone some peace, happiness, understanding, or better yet, all of these things in their "life". Our good qualities will simply be lived out in a small way through someone else. That's my hope
    He was instrumental in music big time, and who knows actually how much even you and I may have been influenced by his music and life.
    DPDAN

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I'm a relative "youngster" compared to most of the people on this forum, but I do know who he was because I loved the Cole Porter song "Begin the Beguine" from a young age. ("The Rocketeer" was one of my favorite movies as a child - I adored every note of that score.)

NPR did an excellent short about his life on last Thursday's "All Things Considered." It was fascinating - much of it (in Shaw's own words) an affirmation that wealth and fame do not satisfy.

So many of the greats have left us this year: Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, and now Artie Shaw. I'll miss them...

Go Back to forum