• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Plenty of RAM - but 'Out of Memory' message

Share/Bookmark

Plenty of RAM - but 'Out of Memory' message

I'm running Kontakt in a windows XP machine, with 1.5 GB RAM.

I've tried loading the Old Lady LE, but even though it uses far less than the available RAM in the machine, it won't load, telling me I'm out of memory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help,
    Trond

Re: Plenty of RAM - but 'Out of Memory' message

I had the same problem. Try changing your DFD settings. I have mine set really low even though I have 3 Gigs of RAM. Mine is set at 48/72 with 248 voice of polyphony. Open your Task Manager and monitor your resources as you play with the settings and load samples. Before I tweaked my settings, I could barely load 1 instance of Kontakt or 2 instances of Kompakt (with EWQLSO Gold which is fairly resource heavy). After I tweaked it, I could load 3 or 4 instances of Kontakt or 7 or 8 instances of Kompakt loaded with Gold samples. It made a huge difference. And so far I have not had a problem with pops or crackles. Basically I would see how low you can set your DFD settings without having pops or clicks. I think every setup and hardware configurations reacts a little differently so you really do need to experiment.

[ I am running a Windows XP Celeron with only 512meg memory.
    Three things have really helped me fix the problem you describe:
    -- Using Traction instead of Sonar
    I have been using TRACTION (the free download from Keyboard) as this is one of the easiest production software tools . Still free?
    I also have Sonar 3 producer editon. I get better memory usage/sound quality using the TRACTION.
    And it is soooo easy to use. Anyway,

---Using FreeMem Pro Software utility
    I have gotten great use of out my FreeMem pro software.
    It is set with several memory trigger points. When it detects 300Meg usage it starts up and cleans up my memory. This is all while Kompakt, Kontakt or Gigaa, whoever is running. I also have some hot-buton keys that will instigate a memory clean-up when I hit (Ctlr-M-A, Ctrl-M-B, etc.)
    Free mem aslo keeps two small windows in the Quick Launch area that show you amount of memory being used (i.E. 242meg) and % of CPU being used.
    ---DFD Direct From Disk and tuning settings
    Since I have gotten DFD working properly in Kompakt & Kontakt i have had less problems with memory "suckage" by Kontakt/Kompakt. I have some songs that have 5 Kompakt versions running (EWQLSO SIlver, EWQL Vapor, 3 kompakt natives), NativeInstruments FM7 (4 versions) and two instances of Battery and one each of Kontakt and Absynth. And they fit!!!

The other thing I do is kill my internet access, disable my virus scan and delete a few non-essential programs. Then I run FreeMem just before starting Traction.

Let me know how you do. I would be happy to help. Free Mem pro is a GREAT investment for me. See
    Free mem Professional software site

It is currently $19.95 with a 30 day money back guarntee. I think you can also find it with a 14 day demo version at other sites.
    I hope this will really help.... ken
    EMAIL=ksvejda@email.com]my alternate email addy [/EMAIL]

Unhappy Re: Plenty of RAM - but 'Out of Memory' message

I would be curious as to what is the final solution.

Since getting and installing Kompakt, by the way a mistake as far as I am concerned, I keep getting memory issues as well. I have 3/4 of a Gig and it worked fine with the GPO Kontakt but after the install it now has serious problems with drop outs, noise and memory management. This happens even if I only use the GPO Kontakt now,

Unfortunately, I am very dissapointed with NI products and support to date.

Regards,

Trankonia

Trankonia,

Try turning off DFD. The GPO Kontakt engine is the same as the Kontakt engine. Although Kontakt allows up to 16 instruments in each instance. Also, you need to set CC21 to 64 for proper release lengths on the sustain string patches.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not using DFD, don't need to, because the LE version of the Old Lady piano I'm using at the moment should easily fit well within even 1 GB of RAM (I have 1.5). I found part of my problem, I had somehow checked the option to load all samples at 32bit - unchecking that at least allowed me to load the play the piano.

But there's something seriously wrong. With 1.5 GB of RAM in my system I get low memory messages after only a couple of hundred MB are loaded by Kontakt? Then, after loading this piano, and I look at the device manager, I see the amount of free RAM is nowhere near the roughly 1 GB it should be, and it is slowly increasing over time. Only a few hundred MB are used by Kontakt and the piano.

I'm not a Windows XP guru, I probably have something set wrong somewhere, but this is troubling ...

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Trankonia,

Try turning off DFD. The GPO Kontakt engine is the same as the Kontakt engine. Although Kontakt allows up to 16 instruments in each instance. Also, you need to set CC21 to 64 for proper release lengths on the sustain string patches.
    Thanks Haydn, but I never installed or set up DFD. These issues only arose after installing Kompakt. As I understand it, you have to explicitly set DFD, unless I am missing something here.

Regards,

Trankonia

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not using DFD, don't need to, because the LE version of the Old Lady piano I'm using at the moment should easily fit well within even 1 GB of RAM (I have 1.5). I found part of my problem, I had somehow checked the option to load all samples at 32bit - unchecking that at least allowed me to load the play the piano.

But there's something seriously wrong. With 1.5 GB of RAM in my system I get low memory messages after only a couple of hundred MB are loaded by Kontakt? Then, after loading this piano, and I look at the device manager, I see the amount of free RAM is nowhere near the roughly 1 GB it should be, and it is slowly increasing over time. Only a few hundred MB are used by Kontakt and the piano.

I'm not a Windows XP guru, I probably have something set wrong somewhere, but this is troubling ...

Trond

If your an SX user, checkoout the 'sticky" post on the new cubase.net forum. Basically theres a problem with some peoples systems and SX and Kontakt and RMX. Its a known problem. Rich

Trond,

Try disabling the lock page swap option in Kontakt. Can't remember the exact name of this option. This usually will help stop the low memory error plus the samples will load in much faster.

If memory continues to increase without loading anything, then you either have a memory leak in one of your programs or possibly spyware on your system. With 1.5 GB of memory you should be able to load close 1.2 GB of samples. I can load about 1.7 GB of samples with 2 GB of memory.

Go Back to forum