• Register
  • Help

Topic: I bought the Audigy 4 sound card.

Share/Bookmark

Red face I bought the Audigy 4 sound card.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope all of you who don't care for Sound blaster products won't say "I told you so" if it goes awry.

Needed an optical output for the Sony minidisc.
    We'll see.

Re: I bought the Audigy 4 sound card.

Just to get the jump on things...

"I told you so."

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Just to get the jump on things...

"I told you so."
    Thank you! I needed that.

Barring some weirdness that only happens on the third Tuesday of the third lateral equinox, you should be absolutely fine. I have used Sound Blaster products (including the Audigy) clear back to the AWE 64 Gold (actually even before that) and have had no problems whatsoever. I currently use the Audigy Platinum (not the Audigy 2 or 4) on my main desktop and it works flawlessly. I'm considering buying the Audigy NS for my laptop (a PCMCIA card) simply because I've had so much positive experience in the past (6 fully produced albums worth of positive experience!).

You'll love it!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    Barring some weirdness that only happens on the third Tuesday of the third lateral equinox, you should be absolutely fine. I have used Sound Blaster products (including the Audigy) clear back to the AWE 64 Gold (actually even before that) and have had no problems whatsoever. I currently use the Audigy Platinum (not the Audigy 2 or 4) on my main desktop and it works flawlessly. I'm considering buying the Audigy NS for my laptop (a PCMCIA card) simply because I've had so much positive experience in the past (6 fully produced albums worth of positive experience!).

You'll love it!
    Cool!!

The mention of Sounblaster AWE 64 gold makes me go all watery eyed. I bought the damn thing on the strength of a review in Sound on Sound which insisted that 'full duplex' recording was now finally possible. Of course it was not. At least they had the decency to admit their mistake 4 months later and 'updated drivers from Creative now make this facility operational'. Well, kind of - while recording you had to now disable any other streams that used audio (eg software synths, and the Creative modelling software [i've forgotten its name]). And the monitoring playback was something like 6-bits [so sounded awful] and delayed, so full duplex recording like it said on the box? Hardly. I think this 'marketing is more important than music' philosophy tarred Creative among the musical cogniscenti for far longer than they deserved, because although the published specs for their latest cards is misleading (they quote internal S/N ratios, eg, rather than what you get coming out of the socket), as I have said on other threads, the Live!, Live! Value and Audigy cards are as good as any other budget soundcard. I don't like the Audigy 2 much as it to me has a muddier tone. Also with Creative cards you get a hardware synthesiser capable of loading up Soundfonts sample libraries [of which there are a vast array of excellent quality ones free on the net] and of course optical in/outs.

Go Back to forum