• Register
  • Help

Topic: Now what about speakers...?

Share/Bookmark

Question Now what about speakers...?

Any advice?

Re: Now what about speakers...?

Well, I think one of the best ways to decide is to hear several somewhere for yourself. Maybe a local music shop or a friends system? I went into Guitar Center and they were most helpful in setting up monitors that interested me and in my price range. I had them play a couple of my pieces through them to give me a good indication how they may sound. Of course, everyone knows the acoustics of your room will ultimately be a deciding factor. They let me take home two sets, one of Behringer and one of Alesis. I have to admit the Behringer sounds best and with the eq adjustments I was able to custom them to my home studio room.
    I've been running Behringer Truth B2031 active monitors for at least six months now with no trouble and pretty satisfied with the sound and price. I have heard a set of Alesis monitors (sorry, don't remember the model) that were better sounding than the Behringer but not by much. The Alesis were a $100 more as well. Still, I am not disappointed with the Truths.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

I've been running Behringer Truth B2031 active monitors for at least six months now with no trouble and pretty satisfied with the sound and price. I have heard a set of Alesis monitors (sorry, don't remember the model) that were better sounding than the Behringer but not by much. The Alesis were a $100 more as well. Still, I am not disappointed with the Truths.
    Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
    So, it sounds like you're not using these computer speaker systems. More like an audio speaker system. If that's true, is it important to have digital inputs? Are you running your signal from your sound card into an amplifier with digital inputs? I could run some cords to my Nak receiver, which has some klipsch towers. Probably sound real good - just have to see if I have digital inputs if it's important to go from this Audigy 4 sound card to the Nak.

Well, actually I just pulled the digital signal out of my Audigy 2 front mixer into an Alesis Studio 12R. The output of the Alesis is connected to the Behringers which are self powered. This is my playback system only and has served the purpose well so far.
    I remembered the Alesis speakers are the M1 active monitors. My partner uses them for his home system. We have Mackie monitors in storage for whenever we find property for our studio. I consider the Mackies way too efficient for a home studio. Then again, it depends on what you can afford and are satisfied with.
    One feature I like alot about the Behringers is not having to crank them up to high levels in order to hear everything clear. Let's put it this way, when I play most of the demos from the people hear their music sounds clean, balanced, and well mixed just as if they were right here.
    Styxx

I mix first with Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones, which most Pro-engineers will say is the ultimate sin.

They'll tell you to mix across 3 sources: a small set of like computer speakers, a set of mid-sized speakers, and a large set of speakers.

This is to get the best sound across all sets- compromises must be made at times.

Anyway, after the Headphone mix, I skip using small speakers altogether, because I don't care what the mix sounds like on those. After the 'phones, I mix to some mid-sized Roland Studio Monitors (to monitor and maybe tame mid-bass levels), and finally to some DCM TimeFrame 1000s with a Sunfire Subwoofer. I like a lot of deep-rich bass, and the Sunfire gives me what I want to hear during monitoring w/o affecting the main mix. (Before using a sub-woofer in monitoring, all my mixes would sound really bass-heavy on most systems because of my tendency to mix it so )

Stevemitchell

Smile Re: Now what about speakers...?

I have been using a set of Alesis M1 actives for a couple of years now and really like them. The only thing I really dont like is that they lack on the deep bass so my mixes tend to be a little bass heavy till I listen on my home stereo. Then I remix. I hear good things about the MAudio BX8s. I think they cost about the same as the Alesis but with way better bass. Hope this helps.

Eric

Yamaha NS10's are legendary mixing speakers, unfortunately they dont make them any more - something about running out of the right coconuts for the cones (seriously). You can get them second hand (Sound on Sound UK). The are a bit bright and harsh for continued listening but they bring out the detail like a whelk pick.
    Yamaha used to have a stock of speakers too.

Wow! This is getting really technical. I like it! I'm going to have to save these posts or email it to me and chew on this for awhile. Some of it I don't understand. I'll hold off on buying the speakers for awhile. The Nak system is in the other room - that won't work.

What about the digitial output? Do I have to have use it?

Smile Re: Now what about speakers...?

Quote Originally Posted by bnlsrv
    Wow! This is getting really technical. I like it! I'm going to have to save these posts or email it to me and chew on this for awhile. Some of it I don't understand. I'll hold off on buying the speakers for awhile. The Nak system is in the other room - that won't work.

What about the digitial output? Do I have to have use it?

The digital output of your soundcard? That is definitly the way things are going but I wouldnt worry to much about being all digital in your studio if this is primarily just for fun. When you write with VSTi's like GPO, you are staying in the digital realm already except for the final output from your PC's soundcard. I really doubt that you would notice a big difference at your monitors if you are going straight from soundcard to speakers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has to get back to good old analog signal somewhere until they figure out how to digitally interface with a nice skull-mounted brain tap. Lol. Hope this helps. The other reason I like to stay analog is for bringing in additional hardware into my midi rig that doesnt have digital outs. I cant afford a digital mixer and that's what I would have to have I imagine if I wanted to run digital input speakers and bring in external analog signals to be converted.

Eric

Go Back to forum