• Register
  • Help

Topic: I have an audiophile 2496--can I use multiple sound modules

Share/Bookmark

I have an audiophile 2496--can I use multiple sound modules

and run them through a software sequencer, or do I need some sort of midi-port with alot more than just one in and one out? Midi = confusing for this old brain . . .

Right now I'm using PowerTracks Pro ($29, and worth every penny!) and would like to be able to record midi tracks by connecting my 2496's midi in/out. Problem is, it only has the one midi cable in and out, so I don't know how to connect the 3 separate (and old) midi modules/keyboards to this to be able to connect all three to my PC. Do I need some sort of midi patch bay or what?

Thx,

Noel

Thumbs up Re: I have an audiophile 2496--can I use multiple sound modules

You need extra midiports a good one is midisport 2*2 in/out of 4*4 in/out. See on the site from M-audio! You connect the extra ports with a USB cable.

Re: I have an audiophile 2496--can I use multiple sound modules

Thank you Res,

Can you give me a quick lesson on how to connect the following together, with the m-audio 4x4? Here are the players . . .

1. Roland midi keyboard (A90ex)
    2. Korg T2Ex (I will use as a sound module)
    3. GigaStudio on my PC
    4. Powertracks Sequencer software--I am using the m-audio Delta 2496 audio card with one midi in and one midi out.

Is this correct?
    1. Connect the Delta 2496's midi OUT to one of the 4x4's IN ports
    2. Connect the Delta 2496's midi IN to one of the 4x4's OUT ports
    3. Connect each sound modules's OUT to one of the 4x4's IN ports

Or, can you point me to a website that can explain this setup?

Thanks for this help.

Noel

Hi Noel,

The midisport 4*4 is an usb device so you connect a small box with a usb cable to your computer. (there are also other brands for midi ports and aalso connected via a USB cable).
    So once you have connected the box and ionstalled the software you do have 4 extra midi in ports and 4 extra midi out ports! Beside these ports you also have 1 midi in port from your DElta audiophile and 1 midi out!
    Together 5 in's 5 out.
    Connect your sound modules outs to the midi ins from Midisport or audiophile. Connect the outs from the sound modules to the ins of the midisport or audiophile! That simple it is.
    Now route your midi channels in your sequencer. Nothing more nothing less.
    Beware every midiport does have 16 channels! So make sure your channels are setup correctly.

Goodluck.

Greetings Resident.

That sounds straightforward, so I will pay attention to the midi channels as you say. Thank you very much )

I have a 4x4 installed now, but I have something odd going on and I don't know why. I have a sound module connected to one of the outputs, and when I am recording (sequencing) notes drop off, as if the polyphony limit has been reached, yet it surely hasn't. What could cause this? Latency?

Noel

Go Back to forum