• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is a Celeron and why doesn't it work for Giga, etc.?

Share/Bookmark

What is a Celeron and why doesn't it work for Giga, etc.?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention Celerons here, and therefore just assumed they don't work for our purposes. What's missing from them - are they just underpowered, or is it more than that?

Re: What is a Celeron and why doesn't it work for Giga, etc.?

Nick... I thought (personally) that their number crunching ability as well as smaller cache sizes did not lend themselves well to audio/video work. Such thing as encoding/decoding video just doesn't work as well on a Celeron so I would assume that audio production would suffer as well.

They have half the cache of a normal pentium 4, which makes them alot slower in some cases. Theyre also more prone to branch mispredicts and stuff but im gonna get wayyy to complicated so ill stop

Theyre underpowered, yes.

crippled P4

Essentially, the Celeron is just a crippled version of the Pentium 4. The front-side-bus (FSB) and amount of onboard cache are two important aspects of how "fast" a processor runs. Compare this:

----------------
    Pentium 4 "Northwood": 533 or 800 MHz FSB / 512 kb L2 cache
    Celeron "Northwood": 400 MHz FSB / 128 kb L2 cache

Pentium 4 "Prescott" (Socket T): 800 MHz FSB / 1 MB L2 cache
    Celeron D "Prescott" (Socket 478): 533 MHz FSB / 256 kb L2 cache
    ----------------

As you can see, the Celeron is a mere shadow of the P4, suited mainly for general purpose / office computing and not multimedia-intensive applications. The Celeron D is a large step in the right direction, but it has its rear-end handed to it by a comparable P4 or AMD Athlon 64.

Here's an article all about the Celeron D.
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2093

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Damned elitists.

I have a Celeron Dell laptop that runs EWQLSO Silver and Gigastudio 3.0 Solo with little to no hiccups. Obviously my P4 desktop gets most of the use but I have used my laptop for sketches on Sonar with no playback problems whatsoever through my Tascam US-122

Thanks everyone. 's what I thought.

i built a cheapo machine awhile back with a celeron and SIS chipset that i could never get to work right with giga 2.54. there were these weird jumpy ghost notes whenever the voice count got high.

i could never figure out what the problem was, but i always suspected the sis chipset or the celeron. i got sick of troubleshooting it and just replaced the mobo & processor with a P4 and an intel mobo-no more problems!

hmmph.

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Without trying to spark a holy war, the price / performance ratio is what makes me appreciate the majority of AMD's lineup of CPUs, at least until you get to the top end. For the same price of a Celeron, you can get an AMD that will blow the doors off the Celeron and compete nicely against a P4 costing twice as much. The supporting chipsets are light years beyond what they were a few years ago, and the Athlon 64 series shows tremendous potential as well.

No need for a group buy after all.

Just as a point of comparison on this, as a backup GS machine I have a 600 MHz PIII Celeron with 256 MB Ram. It is running WinME in WDM compatibility mode, using the built-in Crystal soundcard and joystick MIDI port (which is not possible in XP), and with Giga 2.2 it works just fine for whatever I can get to load on there. I don't use the NFX, I just use it for playback and to resolve any production bottlenecks. Fortunately I don't do the full-bore orchestral thing (yet) so I don't face the more pressing performance needs of the power users around here.

Still, that's the great thing about Giga -- it uses whatever resources are there, and with what I feel is very solid performance. My point being that a Celeron can work as long as it's not overworked.

That's why I really love how second and even third generation PCs can be repurposed as GS2 machines. And even older ones can be Gigasampler machines.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum