• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Fugue in dm

Share/Bookmark

Fugue in dm

This was incorrectly posted in the General Discussion area a few days ago.

My Fugue in dm was written in the style of Bach as I really enjoy Baroque music, especially Fugues.

http://cannonscores.com/Fugueindm.mp3

The above link should work. If not, go to my website at http://cannonscores.com and click on the Mp3 title.

I used 6 instances of the Kontakt Player with 1 instrument/player. This gave me a little more freedom with reverb on my Mac laptop than I would have had with more instruments/Kontakt player. I can only effectively score for about 8 instruments plus reverb on my Mac.

Instruments: Voice #1, Flute and Violin1 Sus-Short; voice #2, Clarinet and Viola1 Sus-Short; voice #3, Bassoon and Cello1 Sus-Short.

Layered strings would have been super, but I don't have that luxury on my computer. Also, some delay would have fattened up the strings too.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Fugue in dm

What a delightful piece! You did a great job.

On the down side, your instruments sound a bit synthy for some reason. It could be that you are doubling different instrumental voices on the same MIDI channels. Maybe you could spend some more time tweaking everything for realism. More use of dynamics would be good.

Fugal writing is definitely not easy. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    What a delightful piece! You did a great job.

On the down side, your instruments sound a bit synthy for some reason. It could be that you are doubling different instrumental voices on the same MIDI channels. Maybe you could spend some more time tweaking everything for realism. More use of dynamics would be good.

Fugal writing is definitely not easy. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry:

You are absolutely right. The instruments do sound synthy except the Bassoon which is a gorgeous GPO instrument. Dynamic changes will enhance this piece and maybe even a change of instrumentation could be effected.

Thanks Larry.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Rhap2 (Jack Cannon) and I have been emailing back and forth different types of files from Digital Performer, while learning some of the stuff there is about different types of midi files and Digital Performer project documents. We both use DP.
    I offered to make some changes to his Fugue as long as he was comfortable sharing his midi file with me. I made some changes that he liked, and in the process, I had changed some notes that were supposed to be legato, but were supposed to be staccato. Of course I was only going by what my ears thought was correct. In any event, he did a wonderful job of writing this Fugue, and all I wanted to do was offer some advice on some little things. He ended up liking it so much that he insisted that I post it here for you all.
    So here it is... Jack Cannon's Fugue in D

Of course these are all GPO sounds from the recent free update...
    Edited and mixed in Digital Performer 4.5 and a twenty year old Lexicon 200, no, not the MPX 200
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Viola Sus+Short
    Flute Solo V
    Violin Sus+Short
    Violin 1 Gagli Solo
    Bassoon 1 Solo
    Cello Sus+Short
    Cello 2 KS Solo (alt UP & DN bows)

Thank you Jack for allowing me to share your joy in this piece!
    DPDAN

I listened to DPDAN’s version of this and have to say I am impressed. Very nicely done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Nice piece!!
    But the arrangement IMHO still needs tweaking; I'd put lots of mod data into the bassoon that is just too static. And I don't like the sound of strings; have you thought on using a single instrument for the string part, such as the cello?
    The other woodwinds sound cool to me.
    -Matt

Thumbs up Re: Fugue in dm

Nice, and it reminds me of a composer I can't quite place the name right now. Oh, Alfred Hitchcock's theme for his television program was written by him! Dang it if I can remember anything anymore!
    It is a very nice piece.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Fugue in dm

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    This was incorrectly posted in the General Discussion area a few days ago.

My Fugue in dm was written in the style of Bach as I really enjoy Baroque music, especially Fugues.

http://cannonscores.com/Fugueindm.mp3

The above link should work. If not, go to my website at http://cannonscores.com and click on the Mp3 title.

I used 6 instances of the Kontakt Player with 1 instrument/player. This gave me a little more freedom with reverb on my Mac laptop than I would have had with more instruments/Kontakt player. I can only effectively score for about 8 instruments plus reverb on my Mac.

Instruments: Voice #1, Flute and Violin1 Sus-Short; voice #2, Clarinet and Viola1 Sus-Short; voice #3, Bassoon and Cello1 Sus-Short.

Layered strings would have been super, but I don't have that luxury on my computer. Also, some delay would have fattened up the strings too.

Jack Cannon
    Hi Jack,

It's a joy to listen to your fugue in dm. Have already listened to it several times!

The subject (Dux) and countersubject (comes) feels genuinely baroque and stay in the head already after the first listening!

The orchestration is well balanced with good taste!

Thanks for sharing,

Fredrik

Jack,

Well, I have to agree that Dan's tweaking helps the overall effect- but that shouldn't take away from the fact that the fugue, itself, is wonderful. You have captured the style remarkably well, right down to the pedal at the end. This is not easy to do, but it sounds very natural and flowing; it did not sound like a counterpoint exercise, but rather a real, live fugue. Bravo!

And Dan: great work, as always.

You guys make a great team.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Jack,

Composing a fugue must be difficult and enjoyable at the same time.
    I always enjoyed playing fugues, but never tried to write one...
    So I'm really impressed with your fugue!
    The more I hear it the more I like it. It is well written and in good balance.
    The pairs of instruments for each voice are effective combinations for the overall sound.
    Well done!

For some reason I can't hear Dan's mp3. I get this strange message:
    "Results:
    Account disabled" ????

Keep posting

Yudit

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast