• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: controlling GPO's knobs from midi device

Share/Bookmark

controlling GPO's knobs from midi device

hey! i'm having a ball with GPO (rocking the entire house with the gong never gets old ) i'm playing GPO from my casio keyboard but am having trouble figuring out how to hook up my M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller. how can i control the knobs & wheels in GPO from my midi controller?

my setup:
    casio keyboard MIDI OUT -> computer's MIDI IN
    casio keyboard MIDI IN -> computer's MIDI OUT

How does the Oxygen's knobs & wheels move GPO's knobs & wheels?
    I'm using Sonar 3pe if that helps
    confused,
    bachrock

Re: controlling GPO's knobs from midi device

Quote Originally Posted by bachrock
    hey! i'm having a ball with GPO (rocking the entire house with the gong never gets old ) i'm playing GPO from my casio keyboard but am having trouble figuring out how to hook up my M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller. how can i control the knobs & wheels in GPO from my midi controller?

my setup:

confused,
    bachrock
    Well, I don't know what you are talking about, so when you find out, tell me. What is M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller? I the rain was fouling the phone lines so badly, I could look it up and find out. The rain is good for the redwood forest, not good for phone lines out here in the woods!

Richard

my setup:

confused,
    bachrock
    Hi bachrock, I think controlling the knobs in the Kontakt player that comes with GPO is not possible. I am able to control widgets and knobs and stuff in Gigastudio with midi values via any controller, but I think I am correct that the knobs can not be controlled via midi CC values as you are wanting to do. Tom Hopkins or Gary would know. I think you would have to buy the full version Kontakt player for more advanced features such as editing and control over many more features, at least that's the way I understand it.

DPDan

my setup:

confused,
    bachrock
    Well, right at the moment, while I'm building a new controller, I'm controlling GPO from one of the Tritons. I simply have it's assignable knobs set to the appropriate CCs for the parameters in GPO, and away we go. One is set to send Mod wheel since the Triton joystick doesn't play well with GPO.

All the onscreen knobs and wheels, even the pitch bend move accordingly as the program responds.

Unless I misunderstand your question, that's all there is to it. Set the Oxygen8s knobs to the appropriate MIDI CC, and you're good to go.

Michael

Bachrock,

M.A.S is correct. Just assign your hardware sliders and knobs to the controller numbers used in GPO. This goes for the "hidden" controllers as well. The update documentation gives detailed information on assignments. Once you have configured your Oxygen8 everything should work well.

Tom

<edit> ...my setup:

...bachrock
    You listed how your casio was set up (see above quote), but you didn't mention how your Oxygen controller was set up.

You've already gotten some great advice in response to your question. Keep in mind that whatever you do to solve the problem, your Oxygen has to be physically included in your MIDI chain.

I make no assumptions.

hello!
    first, thank you all for your replies its great to have found such an active community

rwayland: the m-audio oxygen8 (link1, link2) is a midi controller with just the right amount of knobs and wheels for GPO (imho anyway)

DPDAN: i know you can control the knob & wheels becuase right off the bat the m-audio's pitch wheel & mod wheel move GPO's wheels so i know it can be done!

M.A.S>:
    Unless I misunderstand your question, that's all there is to it. Set the Oxygen8s knobs to the appropriate MIDI CC, and you're good to go.
    you actually got more to the point than i did - issue is how to assign the MIDI CC?

Tom Hopkins:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Bachrock,
    M.A.S is correct. Just assign your hardware sliders and knobs to the controller numbers used in GPO. This goes for the "hidden" controllers as well. The update documentation gives detailed information on assignments. Once you have configured your Oxygen8 everything should work well.
    Tom
    in the GPO documentation, for example lets take Portamento, it says that Portamento is CC#18. now the instructions for the Oxygen 8 say to:
    1) press MIDI/SELECT, then Set Controller Key
    2) choose knob number
    - i chose controller 1
    3) assign desired midi controller parameter number using the number key group 1-127 then press enter.
    - i chose 18 - is this the CC number?
    4) assign the midi channel number on number key group (1-16)
    - i chose 16 but am just guessing
    5) you can select up to five banks of preset for the Oxy8 keyboard, P1-P5
    - i chose 1

Daag Nabbott: you posted before i could finish this reply haha - i'm using usb to connect the Oxygen8 now

i've never assigned stuff for midi control before but i suspect i am screwing up step 3 & 4. what am i doing wrong?
    ps sorry for the long post but i wanted to make sure i answered everyone that was nice enough to reply to me!
    thanks,
    backrock

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Bachrock,

Tom
    that's great, thanks Tom

Dan

<edit>...
    3) assign desired midi controller parameter number using the number key group 1-127 then press enter.
    - i chose 18 - is this the CC number?
    4) assign the midi channel number on number key group (1-16)
    - i chose 16 but am just guessing
    i've never assigned stuff for midi control before but i suspect i am screwing up step 3 & 4. what am i doing wrong?
    ...backrock
    If it were me, I'd give a call to M-audio tech support for assurance.

Off the cuff, though, with step 4, I'd guess that the midi channel number needs to match the midi channel number that is set in GPO (one or more of the 8 slots). By default, GPO slots are set from channels 1 -> 8, so to use 16, wouldn't you need to change one of GPO's settings to also be 16? (it's a pull down function in the kontakt player...any of the 8 slots in a given GPO instance can be changed to any of the standard 16 midi channels...want some thick poly layering?, set all 8 slots to the same midi channel <not that you want to do that, actually>).

In short, for real time input, your controller midi channel has to match your destination (GPO slot/instance) midi channel.

In short, for real time input, your controller midi channel has to match your destination (GPO slot/instance) midi channel.
    that makes so much logical sense i want to kick myself. i'll attempt it when i get home from work tonight

Go Back to forum