• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adding music to film?

Share/Bookmark

Adding music to film?

Anyone have experience with \"adding\" music to a movie?

How are you doing this?

Say, for instance, I have a digitized movie in .avi format, and I want to keep the existing sound (voices etc.) and add my music. What kind of setup would help me accomplish this?

Any information/views on the subject appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Adding music to film?

I\'m very new at this as well. But I\'ve done 2 in the last 3 months: one in SONAR and the other in Cubase SX

In SONAR it\'s just a matter importing the AVI, the audio from the AVI is inserted into an audio track. Then you can create your music as normal and then present a bounced/mixed wave file back to the film editor. (OMF would be cooler but I haven\'t yet tried this)

With SX, the audio track from the AVI is not imported automatically. So I had to load the AVI in Vegas, strip out the audio file, then import the audio file separately into Cubase. But it synced fine with the imported Video. However I did find the Cubase SX MIDI composing toolset to be better than SONAR\'s for this purpose. (especially the mute clips / events tool)

I\'m sure there are more sophisticated approaches to this, but I found that integrated video streaming in the sequencers worked quite well.

-david abraham

Thank you David,

I\'m using Cubase SX, and as you say- it won\'t import the audio track automaticly. Exporting the audio from Vegas might help me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else got bright ideas?

BlueNote:

Nuendo will extract the audio from an avi and will allow you to put your final mix back into the avi!
    BUT Nuendo has very poor midi ATM, this is supposed to improve with V2
    Steinberg\'s crippling of SX and Nuendo like this is really stupid, for music to film ideally, you need
    VST 5.1 for the Mastertrack, hitpoints and studiomodule
    Cubase SX or Nuendo for it\'s audio capabilities (much better then VST)
    and Nuendo to handle the AVI\'s prperly
    really stupid isn\'t it?
    If you are looking for a cheap option, Virtualdub is a free video editor which will extract the audio from an AVI which you can then load into SX.

Brian

I\'m using Cubase SX, and as you say- it won\'t import the audio track automaticly. Exporting the audio from Vegas might help me

Anyone else got bright ideas?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi, I am also using SX. Another option is to incorporate a Quicktime movie. If you have Quicktime Pro (a one off upgrade cost of $30 U.S.)you can strip out the audio and export it from inside QT.

Coming from a multimedia background, I have found the QT format to be far superior to AVI file format. And this includes using QT in Windows (I dont use a Mac). Talk to any multimedia developer and they mostly use QT embedded into Director.

Just another option, Scott.

Ok,

Now I have got myself a setup that will do what I need:

- Exporting the audio with virtualdub (hey- it\'s free!)

- Importing Video and audio in Cubase SX

- My gfx card is a matrox g450 dualhead. Using dvdmax technology, I have a small video window within Cubase on my main display, and at the same time, full size video displayed on a tv.

Now I just have to make some music.
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum