• Register
  • Help

Topic: Partitioning in OSX, a good idea?

Share/Bookmark

Partitioning in OSX, a good idea?

So what do you guys think? I've heard a lot of stories and opinions but still don't know what to think.

I'm leaning towards partitioning just to keep the audio or the samples on the very outside, faster part of the disk but a lot of people seem to think that's a bad idea. Where can I go to get the straight story?

Cheers
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Re: Partitioning in OSX, a good idea?

probably apple support or apple logic support will have better answers to this question

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...ff.0@.689be5d8

Even if you're not using Logic, you'll probably be able to find more audio related answers to your Qs from the above link.

Lee, thanks for the response. I've got to read up on this stuff. I'm going to hit the manufacturer's sites and see what I can pick up. To me, this seems to be a central issue in getting all of these huge streaming libraries to behave. And even though many people have an opinion I've yet to hear anything definitive, at least nothing I recognize as being definitive.

So, this is what I've decided to do. I've got 2-250 GB drives internally, a Seritek external card and 2-300 GB Seagates. So 4 drives. Each drive will be dedicated to one thing.

System/Apps
    Audio/Backup System
    Samples
    Storage

No partitions. Offline firewire storage as well.

It's an experiment, could be total overkill too. We shall see. At any rate I won't run out of space for a few years! If performance starts to degrade after the drives start to fill up I'll look into partitioning the system drives with VolumeWorks or somesuch.

Cheers
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Lee, how do you tell whether your drives are modern multiplatter ones? Is it just a matter of being a certain size, a certain standard (Ultra ATA 100 or whatever), or something else?

OK, It's been a couple of days and I've really been digging into this issue. The only thing I've learned is I need to learn a whole lot more about disk technology and OSX before I can even begin to understand this correctly.

I will say this. There's a lot of smart people out there that still believe in and practise partitioning. Whether they know what they're doing or simply sticking to a tried and true OS9 regimen remains to be seen.

That said, I'm still going to go through with my idea of 4 big drives, no partitions and see what happens.

Cheers
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Go Back to forum