• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will this work? Help needed ASAP

Share/Bookmark

Will this work? Help needed ASAP

Hi... sorry for posting slightly OT, but I need some musician help ASAP.

I have four computers connected to a mixer... the output from the mixer goes to my monitors and to my soundcard on computer 1.

Obviously this gives me a soundloop, and distoristion if I turn the volume up too loud. Now here is what I think I can do to fix it:

Insert another soundcard on computer one, so that it outputs from soundcard 1, but records to combined mix from the mixer on soundcard 2... allowing me to turn the volume up as much as I desire...

Would that work?

Smile Re: Will this work? Help needed ASAP

Why don't you turn off the input monitoring ability of SC1?
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Re: Will this work? Help needed ASAP

Well... could you elaborate?

Just to specify... I need the audio output from all 4 computers. I also need to record this output on one of the computers. What I'm trying to avoid is bouncing tracks, but rather just recording what I hear

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Well... could you elaborate?
    The input of sound card one, which is your master stereo signal, should not appear as an output at the mixer. You can either dedicate a pair of channels on your mixer for that output and mute them during recording (which would negate the use of that pair of outputs during mixing), or better, use whatever software mixer/applet you have available for that sound card to tell it not to pass audio through to its outputs. This could be "input monitoring" or "software monitoring" or something similar, depending on the card.

Please don't take this as an insult, but if you're having such a basic operational problem like this, you most likely have many other problems with your system and mode of operation that could negatively impact the quality of your recordings. Some of these things might be hard to get help with through a forum.

I think your best bet is to find and bring in a local guru who really knows this stuff. Have that person inspect your system and the way everything is interfaced. Once those problems are identified and cleared up, have that person observe the way you record and mix, offering advice (especially in things like gain staging and optimizing levels). I'm betting that with some live, hands-on tutoring, the sound of your work just might make a dramatic jump.
    No insult what so ever ...

The input of sound card one, which is your master stereo signal, should not appear as an output at the mixer. You can either dedicate a pair of channels on your mixer for that output and mute them during recording (which would negate the use of that pair of outputs during mixing), or better, use whatever software mixer/applet you have available for that sound card to tell it not to pass audio through to its outputs. This could be "input monitoring" or "software monitoring" or something similar, depending on the card.
    Thanks Sean and Ken... exactly the advice I needed

I have to agree with Lee a bit here. And like he said, no disrespect, we've all been there

Personally I use the kind of system you are describing as well, but for monitoring only. Not input back into an output computer. My Cubase SX has the ability to export to wave file and so does my Gigastudio 2.5. Then I merge the different mixdown files in my audio editing program, paying careful attention so that I don't alter the sound quality to anything unwanted. That way the signal doesn't pass alot of external equipment and remains very clean and good - and no noise.

Also, my mixer happens to be a HD Portastudio, so for quick creating of a demo MP3 with not full quality I just record the mix onto that one and lightpipe it back into my audio editing program. If you don't hade an external recorder then that could be a way to go, if you insist on record everything at once. I would also value the option of recording at once, but I'm still going to bring the mix into the audio editing program to finish it off anyway, even if I recorded it like you want to, so ... I don't have 4 computers however. Why not use 3 computers only, surely you can get plenty of power out of 3, and use the 4th as "everything else" machine? as a suggestion.

Then there is the audio via LAN option. Someone else might know more about that, haven't tried it yet myself.

Hope you find a solution you're comfortable with.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Yep... will have everything looked at when I have time. But for now I will have to do with the projects sound director as quality control. But the simple little trick that Ken an Sean mentioned worked. So thats awesome.

Marcussen,

What mixer do you have? If it has a separate submix output, I have a really nice setup for you. This is based on my Mackie 1402 mixer.

I run all of my inputs into the mixer and the main outputs of the mixer to the monitors. I connect the ALT_3-4 outputs to the input of the soundcard.

When I want to record a given instrument, I simply press the ALT_3-4 button on that channel strip. That feeds it to the input of the soundcard. If I mute the soundcard input, the recorded channel does not go to the monitors. Unmute it and I hear the channel that is being recorded.

I use the setup in two modes. The recording mode is described above. The other mode is "headphone mode". I mute the soundcard input for this. The Mackie has the headphone output connected so that it can route with the ALT_3-4 output. All I have to do is press a button and that track goes to the headphones.

This setup gives me *almost* everything I want at the touch of a button. Ideally I'd have three independent outputs: recording, monitors and headphones, with full routing. That would simplify sending the click track to the headphones while recording.

-JF

Marcussen,

One or two minor considerations:

If you do go with a 2nd sound card, see if you can put in on another (internal) bus, for bandwidth consideration & it might need to be the same manufacturer model to keep from having driver conflicts.

Let us know your outcome on this... and (I) we want to hear the results of your Frankenstein Monster. It's alive! it's alive!

Zenzilla

LOL... well... Ive simply kept things as they were, with one soundcard in each. But disabled the input on it so it does not "hear" itself.

Works great (only done little testing though)

Thanks for the advice everyone

Go Back to forum