• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar users - how do you mix GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar users - how do you mix GPO?

Hey, guys.

I use Sonar 3 as my sequencer with GPO inserted as VST instruments. In working on a brass ensemble, I wanted to do a little mixing between the parts as the tune progressed. What I ended up having to do was go into Geek View and insert cc1 events anytime I wanted to change the volume of an instrument. As you can imagine, this isn't the sort of smooth, fader driven mixing process that we're normally accustomed to with audio.

Unfortunately, Sonar appears to have jettisoned the StudioWare panel functionality allowing me to build a mixer of faders controlling cc1. Their Mixer view appears hardwired to cc7.

What I'm looking to accomplish is finding a way to mix using a normal fader based approach rather than inserting random cc events. How do you guys do mixdowns in Sonar? I'm sure I'm not the only person to have struggled with this, so I'd be grateful for any ideas you might have.

Thanks,
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Sonar users - how do you mix GPO?

You can use the "bounce to tracks" (bouncing one or more GPO channels) and then mix the individual parts (audio tracks created by the bounce).
    Or, you can select the "use STD cc#7 / cc#10 volume & pan" option in
    Kontakt. This lets you create a sonar volume envelope for each GPO channel (midi track).

...If this is what you're talking about....

Hey, Squoze.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I'd rather not have to handle an orchestra full of individual instrument audio files, so cc is the way to go. However, I haven't turned on the volume / pan option in Kontakt because I don't want to lose the articulations that come with controlling the volume via the mod cc, and that's the real dilemma...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, guys.

What I ended up having to do was go into Geek View and insert cc1 events anytime I wanted to change the volume of an instrument. As you can imagine, this isn't the sort of smooth, fader driven mixing process that we're normally accustomed to with audio.

Thanks,

Hey Christopher,

I use an Oxygen-8 midi controller and assign controllers to one of it's "knobs"
    and record volume that way. Depending on your midi controller; you should be able to assign a knob or slider to send cc1 (or any controller) and record into SONAR.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks,
    Toby
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/tobybrezmusic.htm

You can turn on that option and still use cc1 for articulation.
    This just lets you add an additional (strictly) volume adjustment to each track.
    I do this, but I think its kinda cheating cause you can make, for instance, a oboe solo stand out over an entire orchestra, etc. It does make it easier to manage dynamics, though (for a beginner).

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    You can turn on that option and still use cc1 for articuation.
    This just lets you add an additional (strictly) volume adjustment to each track.
    I do this, but I think its kinda cheating cause you can make, for instance, a oboe solo stand out over an entire orchestra, etc. It does make it easier to manage dynamics, though (for a beginner).
    Hey Squoze,

Your avatar... Neil Young... On The Beech ! I had it on LP a loooong time ago!
    Wow, great album. I looked for that on cd a while back and could not find it.
    Do you know if it's still in print?

Thanks,
    Toby

TobyBrez-
    Yeah--it's been remastered and reissued! A few others were remastered:
    Stars & Bars, Reactor, Hawks & Doves, Old Ways, a few others.
    Great album, along with Zuma, my favorites. I actually liked "Landing on Water" (great snare sound).
    Sorry for the OT reply but thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    TobyBrez-
    Yeah--it's been remastered and reissued! A few others were remastered:
    Stars & Bars, Reactor, Hawks & Doves, Old Ways, a few others.
    Great album, along with Zuma, my favorites. I actually liked "Landing on Water" (great snare sound).
    Sorry for the OT reply but thanks for asking.
    Cool, thanks squoze...
    I was hoping it would eventually be remastered!

Sorry Christopher for hijacking your thread!

Toby

Wow. I do all of my expression and volume changes manually. It involves a great deal of hearing parts over and over and over....

Stevemitchell

Christopher,
    SONAR "supports" StudioWare panels. You just can't create/modify them anymore. I have a simple panel on my site that has Mod sliders for 16 tracks. I don't use it much but you're welcome to it. It's HERE.

You load StudioWare panels from the "File | Open" menu. When you have your project open, do "File | Open" and select file type of "StudioWare". It'll open the panel.
    Bill

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast