• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS FEATURED IN NEW NBC NETWORK THRILLER

Share/Bookmark

KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS FEATURED IN NEW NBC NETWORK THRILLER

NEW NBC NETWORK PROGRAM “MEDIUM” DEBUTING MONDAY, JANUARY 3rd FEATURES KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS IN MAIN THEME.

Producer Preferred Kirk Hunter Concert Strings Over Live Players

Created by Emmy Award producer Glenn Gordon Caron, NBC’s mid-season mystery thriller “MEDIUM” features Emmy Award winning composer Jeff Beal’s edgy, Hitchcockian theme featuring the new Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in GigaStudio format.

In his direction to composer Jeff Beal, the producer stated he was looking for a main title sequence that sounded like “death” – cold and scary.

To achieve this effect, the Emmy winning composer used the short bow and non-vibrato bowings from the new Kirk Hunter Concert Strings library, which features the players in their recorded on-stage position in three different mic positions: close, far and distant. “They had a great scary vibe to them,” said Beal.

When the producer heard the final recorded version sweetened with a 12-player string section, he decided on the original version featuring the Kirk Hunter Concert Strings. “He thought the “live” version sounded too old and less scary,” explained Beal.

Beal also said that the Kirk Hunter concert strings are of amazing quality and value.

Said Beal, “The combination of 3 mike positions, countless articulations, all recorded muted and unmuted, plus Kirk's solo strings in a 100-gig package for under $600 made buying this a 'no-brainer' for me. The sounds have great 'big movie' size, with a lots of emotional variation, bite AND warmth.

“Kirk made sure the programming lends itself to working fast, which is always a necessity in my projects. The ‘load and go’ approach makes using these sounds very fun and intuitive. I also like to program my own patch variations - this is simple to do given the inclusion of every layer as a separate program in the files - nice touch! I'm sure I'll be using and tweaking these sounds for years to come. And the distant patches fill out the spectrum beautifully."

The Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in GigaStudio format are available for $599 at www.kirkhunter.com or by calling 1-804-733-6122 M-F from 10AM to 4PMEST. The soon-to-ship version in Kontakt format are available as a NAMM special for $399 through January 22, 2005.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS FEATURED IN NEW NBC NETWORK THRILLER

Nice Too bad I can't watch NBC over here

A respected composer labeling Kirk's long expected and awaited new effort as 'having a scary vibe' .. hmm
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Nice Too bad I can't watch NBC over here

A respected composer labeling Kirk's long expected and awaited new effort as 'having a scary vibe' .. hmm
    Within the context of the HARMONY!
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Hi Peter!!

Any chance of posting a quick excerpt? (OR I guess the PRoduction Studio wont allow it?)

Rob

Wink Re: KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS FEATURED IN NEW NBC NETWORK THRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Created by Emmy Award producer Glenn Gordon Caron, NBC’s mid-season mystery thriller “MEDIUM” features Emmy Award winning composer Jeff Beal’s edgy, Hitchcockian theme featuring the new Kirk Hunter Concert Strings in GigaStudio format.

What's a 'Hitchcockian' theme?

Bernard Herrmannian theme.

Talking Re: KIRK HUNTER CONCERT STRINGS FEATURED IN NEW NBC NETWORK THRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by greatzed
    Bernard Herrmannian theme.

Now you're talking! Hitchcock never wrote a theme in his life. He was a great film director - no question, but definitely a crap musician. And you can spell Herrmann too Nigel. Excellent!!!

Lots of talk - are there any demos REALLY showing off these strings, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Lots of talk - are there any demos REALLY showing off these strings, or not?
    The series "Medium" premiers tonight at 10PM...

The theme is available at Kirk's site. Not absolutely ultra realistic but still very nice concidering that the strings are fairly exposed. I was one of the people criticizing the classical snippets but now hearing the theme and some user comments I have placed my order for the Kontakt version. Hopefully it won't take months to ship.

Go Back to forum