• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reverb Tutorial...

Question Reverb Tutorial...

I am trying to adjust reverb settings for a general "orchestra"-template, using GPO and Cubase SE. Currently I have routed the instruments to three groups: 1. strings, 2. woodwinds, 3. brass and percussion. Can anyone help me to find settings for the three reverbs? I don´t seem to get behind those pre-delay setttings etc...

Or does anyone know about a decent tutorial which could be helpful?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Regards, Erik

P.S.: Oh, and a happy and successfull new year to you all!

Re: Reverb Tutorial...

Hi Erik,

This looks like your first post, so let me say welcome.

If you're starting out using reverb, and you don't have much knowledge about its use, Probably the best way to work would be to use just one reverb for your final mix. Start out by selecting a preset. Find a hall or room you like. Don't worry about pre delays and such for a while. If you want to fuss a little, you could adjust the wet/dry settings for each of the tracks you mentioned, perhaps setting the strings back a little in the mix with a wetter signal etc. There are several good books on recording that might help you, but most of them lean toward the pop/rock end of the musical spectrum.

Hope this was a little help, and I hope you continue to enjoy using GPO.

Again welcome,

Orcas Island

Welcome to the forum.

You have come to the right place for help. You certainly are going about it the right way by assigning different reverbs to different instrument groups.
    The best thing to do is to trust your ears. Listening to orchestral recordings of the sound you are trying o get would be helpful and you can A/B the two. Much will also depend on the size of the space you are trying to produce. My recommendation is for more ambience for the brass and percussion since they are in the back of the room.

Glenn Rudolph did a fantastic tutorial on adjusting pan settings for instruments, but it would also be great to have a reverb tutorial to help with this too. Time to add something else to the to do list.

Again, welcome to the forum and looking forward to perhaps hearing your music.

Gary Garritan

Karl and Gary,

thanks a lot for your replies and welcome greetings!

I was just looking for some settings to start my experimenting with. Maybe somebody could post his reverb settings?
    If not, it seems I´ll have to go from scratch and do it the "trial and error"-way...so be it!

Anyway, Gary, thanks for your excellent work! I´m very much looking forward to the jazz-library (as this is the music I rather come from, just starting with orchestral pieces). In order to learn GPO and Cubase, I am right now trying to do some Beethoven symphonic work, so I don´t have to bother with arranging.

Go Back to forum