• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: My Gold may have been stolen:

Share/Bookmark

OT: My Gold may have been stolen:

My concern may be a bit premature but here is the story;

I took advantage of the group buy just before Xmas. Since the cost exceeded my credit card limit, I asked my brother (he is very, very trustworthy) if he would buy it for me, which he did on the 23rd of Dec. I then promptly sent him a check for the amount, which has since cleared in my checking account.

The Gold box was shipped to him in 3 (or could have been 4) business days. He then mailed it to me right away (in state) on Wednesday the 29th.

He for some reason, sent it out Priority Mail. No receipt, no tracking number, no signature upon delivery required. Priority Mail guarantees delivery within 2 to 3 business days. He got my check in 24 hours, regular mail, the day before Christmas-!! Figure that...

I have not received it yet and I fear it may have been “dropped off” by the mailman on the front porch at my apartment. It’s a house with 4 units and only has slot-box type mail boxes on the front porch. So there is no way that the Gold box could fit in it. The porch is only a few meters away from the main road so I’m fearing the worst.

I spoke to someone at my local postal currier office who is looking into it. But with no tracking number, it mat be next to impossible to track down. At least this is the impression I’m getting from speaking with the mailman today and the CS lady at the currier's office.

The problem now is that when I’m at work, there is still the possibility that it will be delivered within the next few days, but still just be left out on the porch to be stolen...

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it may still show up today or tomorrow.
    If it doesn’t show up at all, am I just to assume that I’m out 400 dollars?

This is just an awful state of affairs.,

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to what I can do to track this thing down. I’m at a loss...

My brother is normally very responsible and dependable so I didn’t think to tell him that he should send it return receipt. I thought he would have automatically taken this precaution - being as it is such an expensive item to send via US mail.

I was planning on upgrading to Gold Pro before the 31rst too...

Thanks and sorry for the sob story.

Sleepless in Connecticut,

dk

Re: OT: My Gold may have been stolen:

Quote Originally Posted by DPK
    My concern may be a bit premature but here is the story;

I took advantage of the group buy just before Xmas. Since the cost exceeded my credit card limit, I asked my brother (he is very, very trustworthy) if he would buy it for me, which he did on the 23rd of Dec. I then promptly sent him a check for the amount, which has since cleared in my checking account.

The Gold box was shipped to him in 3 (or could have been 4) business days. He then mailed it to me right away (in state) on Wednesday the 29th.

He for some reason, sent it out Priority Mail. No receipt, no tracking number, no signature upon delivery required. Priority Mail guarantees delivery within 2 to 3 business days. He got my check in 24 hours, regular mail, the day before Christmas-!! Figure that...

I have not received it yet and I fear it may have been “dropped off” by the mailman on the front porch at my apartment. It’s a house with 4 units and only has slot-box type mail boxes on the front porch. So there is no way that the Gold box could fit in it. The porch is only a few meters away from the main road so I’m fearing the worst.

I spoke to someone at my local postal currier office who is looking into it. But with no tracking number, it mat be next to impossible to track down. At least this is the impression I’m getting from speaking with the mailman today and the CS lady at the currier's office.

The problem now is that when I’m at work, there is still the possibility that it will be delivered within the next few days, but still just be left out on the porch to be stolen...

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it may still show up today or tomorrow.
    If it doesn’t show up at all, am I just to assume that I’m out 400 dollars?

This is just an awful state of affairs.,

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to what I can do to track this thing down. I’m at a loss...

My brother is normally very responsible and dependable so I didn’t think to tell him that he should send it return receipt. I thought he would have automatically taken this precaution - being as it is such an expensive item to send via US mail.

I was planning on upgrading to Gold Pro before the 31rst too...

Thanks and sorry for the sob story.

dk
    Sleepless,

I guess I wouldn't panic just yet if he mailed the package on the 29th. Hopefully it'll turn up before long. In the meantime, if you're worried about mail being dropped off at your home address, you can have the post office temporarily hold your mail (or deliver to an alternate address) for a set period. Of course the drawback is you have to go pick up the mail (but that's better than risking it being swiped). Hopefully it'll be in your own hands before long.

It's way too early to panic! The USPS, while very reliable overall, is also very inconsistent---particularly with anything that isn't a letter. It would not be at all unusual for a Priority Mail package to take 10 days or more to get to its destination, even within the same state. I've bought a lot of books and DVD's via Ebay which are generally sent via Media Mail. While most arrive within a few days, I had one in December that took 19 days.

And speak with the actual postman who covers your route--the post office can give you a number where to reach him,or better still, meet him when he drops off your mail if you can..He or she would probably recall a package in the last few days.

But I also think you should call East-West to make sure it's been shipped, no?

I'm partners in a publishing company (audio education products), and I know that shipments really do get lost once in a while. We just ship out another order when that happens; it's not the recipient's responsibility if he/she didn't receive it.

Thanks for the reassurances and suggestions.

I did contact the post office currier and I’m having my mail held for the next week or so. The person there told me they would keep an eye out and call me when/if the package arrives.

Thanks again and sorry if I sound like a panicky idiot.

dk

Hopefully your package will turn up.

A suggestion for the future -- always insure packages for their true monetary value. I do this with UPS, FedEx, and especially the USPS. The cost is minimal and provides "peace of mind".

My mom sent me a package "US priority mail"....

Shipped it Sept 2nd...... I got it on Oct 24th (or around -- seriously!). So if it's not there in two months I'd start to worry.

And no my mother will never mail USPO again...

So there is your problem, never US P.O.

BTW-- Sorry to hear that...

KID

Quote Originally Posted by DPK

dk

Priority packges that don't fit in a box are not to be left for someone to run off with.
    I find it odd that Priority Mail does not have a tracking #

Either it hasn't gotten there yet or there are some poorly run post offices.

One thing I learned is in Dec. UPS ground is usually quite quick. I've recieved shipments in 2 days after ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    One thing I learned is in Dec. UPS ground is usually quite quick. I've recieved shipments in 2 days after ordering.
    They're quick for west coast to west coast, or east coast to east coast shipping. The cross country trips usually take the full five days.

-JF

Go Back to forum