• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Wal-Mart from Sample Libs section continued...

Share/Bookmark

Wal-Mart from Sample Libs section continued...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Nice straw man. Wal-Mart doesn't kill the *entire* business district. It just kills the mom-n-pop stores that have muddled along for years with high prices and lousy selection (because they could.... the competition was 50 miles away, or whatever). Maybe they did offer credit, or personal service. But Wal-Mart has proven that what the customer wants is price and selection.

Then Lee wrote:

"Wal-Mart has proven that significant profits can be made when you great prices by keeping the wages and benefits of store employees as low as possible (nipping any thoughts of unionization in the bud). Wal-Mart has proven that U.S. consumers want extremely inexpensive goods made by people working for subsistence wages in third world countries, displacing U.S. workers that are now considered greedy because they want to be able to afford things like health care. This flood of incoming merchandise combined with the weak dollar (weak because our current administration prefers to borrow and go into hock rather than pay our way by raising taxes) is building it one heck of a trade deficit. There's no doubt that this will come back to bite us in the butt. Eventually, we'll get our richly deserved comeuppance. Count on it."
    Abso-frikking-lutely right. It's not just Wal-Mart, in all fairness, it's all the "outsourcing" of jobs that's going on in this country.

And not only does our administration exacerbate the problem by cutting taxes under the guise of "putting more money into the economy," it borrows money from China to pay for the trade deficit. On top of that, it pays for its ridiculous wars by "privatizing" Social Security.

I honestly don't know how we're going to survive this administration.

Re: Wal-Mart from Sample Libs section continued...

ditto.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

well i am no economist but the writing has been on the wall since the Regan Administration, and so far the predictions made by some are reaching fruition, your not going to survive this administration

It is a shame to see a local company, like the one that my friend works at, just lay off 15,000 nationwide, and what makes it worse is that they are moving all the jobs overseas, and in order for the current employees to recieve their next years pay, they must train their replacement.

Beeson

"You know in my town the small businesses that everyone wanted to protect? They were the people that supported all the right-wing groups. They were the Republicans in town, they were in Kiwanis, the Chamber of Commerce—people that kept the town all white. The small hardware salesman, the small clothing store sales persons, Jesse the Barber who signed his name three different times on three different petitions to recall me from the school board. F*** all these small businesses — f*** ’em all. Bring in the chains."

-Michael Moore

hehehe.
    Yep Bill,
    Not one of his greater known quotes...but memorable none the less.

I got "laid off" on Sept 11th 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    "You know in my town the small businesses that everyone wanted to protect? They were the people that supported all the right-wing groups. They were the Republicans in town, they were in Kiwanis, the Chamber of Commerce—people that kept the town all white. The small hardware salesman, the small clothing store sales persons, Jesse the Barber who signed his name three different times on three different petitions to recall me from the school board. F*** all these small businesses — f*** ’em all. Bring in the chains."

-Michael Moore

Just curious to know what Michael Moore has to do with this discussion? The right seems to think that if they wave something stupid some left winger has said in our faces that it somehow negates the entire issue.

If that's your benchmark, then we can just about negate the entire Republican party.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

They're really turning him into a demon, aren't they.

Mike Moore is mostly a demon for the Dems, because he is the kind of guy who can mobilize Repubs as well (Hillary Clinton would be another one). The Dems will be well on their way to winning more elections when they start shunning Mike Moore. Some of the stuff that he has said about Iraqi Jihadis being just like the Minutemen is beyond the pale, really! Plus, remember, Mike makes *way* more money when Repubs run the government. Anyone think the guy is a real asset for the Dems??

As to the other, economic issues, it always amazes me why some people seem to need a "the sky is falling" theme, or their lives are not complete. The world is not going to wrack and ruin, and Wal-Mart is not the devil's work, and outsourcing isn't the downfall of the American economy, and world trade will NOT lead to China running the world, and all this crap you're complaining about would still be the same if John Kerry, or Ralph Nader, or Dennis Kucinich was President.

So, please explain.... why so much angst?? Does it really make you guys feel good to try to identify all the evil in the world and then blame it on a particular political party??

Don't any of you feel any sense of optimism in your lives?? Or do you require a boogeyman to blame all the world's troubles on?? Just curious......

-- Green

I'm not a right winger. My point is that Moore is NOT a left winger.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast