• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help me with memory problem...

Share/Bookmark

Question Please help me with memory problem...

Hi all,
    I have 1.5GB of RAM and i have swap file disabled in my DAW which is Win XP HE...
    so... when in cubase i use all of the 1.5GB my windows do:
    1) Cold Reset
    or
    2) Hangs Up
    or
    3) Crashes my Cubase SL

any one of You have some tip how to know when there's 10% only of memory avail ? i want to receive any notification so i know where I am.
    Please if programs taken into consideration - only freeware - I don't have any money now for such investment.

Re: Please help me with memory problem...

Try Rambooster.

Why do you have swapfile disabled???

Wink Re: Please help me with memory problem...

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    Try Rambooster.

Why do you have swapfile disabled???
    I've read somewhere that i should have it disabled to use EWQLSO GOLD or STORMDRUM...

Maybe i have wrong information....
    Any clues ?

The idea behind having the swapfile disabled is probably that Windows always should read the sample data from the RAM = fast. If you fill up your RAM then Windows will start moving the old data to the swapfile in favor of the not yet loaded data. Then, later, you might hit a key on your keyboard, a key whos audio data is stored in the swapfile. That should mean that you will get one heck of a delay because then the computer need to move a few chunks of data from RAM to swap to make room for that sample and then move the sample data you requested back up to RAM.

This is theoretically speaking, but the idea alone is not unrealistic. I've tried working both ways - with swapfile on for a few weeks and off for a few weeks - and most of the time I push my RAM to a high degree. But I must say that I haven't noticed any difference. Windows seems to handle the principle of using a swapfile very well.

The problems you are experiencing does not seem to be connected to however the swapfile function is active or not. If I had your problems, I would start searching for errors in the settings of the software, that is my first guess. My second guesses would involve that you're using a low budget model of RAM, or that one or more cells in your RAM sticks could be failing (something that your computer should tell you about when you start it up) or possibly a low budget Power supply unit in your computer.

That's how it sounds from my point of view. Hope this might help some, and hope you get it right
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    My second guesses would involve that you're using a low budget model of RAM, or that one or more cells in your RAM sticks could be failing (something that your computer should tell you about when you start it up) or possibly a low budget Power supply unit in your computer.
    My whole DAW is low budget... hey... i live in Poland You know.... so i don't have money for a high budget Ram or power suply

I'd suggest putting your swapfile back in place -- then, windows can save itself if necessary, and you only have the aggravation of a momentary pause or glitch. My 1.5 gigs xp is set for a 512 mb swap file, on the mostly unused system disk.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I'd suggest putting your swapfile back in place -- then, windows can save itself if necessary, and you only have the aggravation of a momentary pause or glitch. My 1.5 gigs xp is set for a 512 mb swap file, on the mostly unused system disk.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've read that it should be set to 150% of physical memory avail.... but You have 512 MB... You think that i should set like You and try to stay under 1.5GB with memory used but leave some for win toa save it's A S S ?

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    My whole DAW is low budget... hey... i live in Poland You know.... so i don't have money for a high budget Ram or power suply
    We all have limited amounts of money, no matter were we live
    I didn't really mean high budget as in paying $500 USD för a good power supply unit. Mid range stuff will also get you out of the traps of using K-mart quality stuff as well
    I used to own a couple of computers which had Qteq powersupplies in them along with Gigabyte motherboards and SIS chipsets, and man, I went crazy. I didn't know what the error was until I put in other parts in them. I will not say Qtec, gigabyte are simply pieces of s***, but they were budget and they messed up my time alot.
    Twinmos original memory sticks are midrange, and they are really ok. But most PSUs that comes along with the computer chassi if one gets it as a package is usually not very good at all. Also, I would recommend motherboards with Intel chipsets for media use.

Anyway, I'm not saying you should go to the bank tomorrow, I'm just discussing this idea. Like I said, my personal first guess is software settings.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Try downloading memtest86 from this site and follow the instructions:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

This will tell you if you have a problem with your RAM.
    I agree with Tomke, that it may very well be the PSU. I was having a similar problem that was fixed by a new PSU.

He's knowingly using more than his available RAM. I'm not sure what his power supply has to do with that. Windows is crashing because it doesn't have enough available RAM to do anything else with.

Anyway, doesn't Kompakt warn you when you reach a certain threshold? Just curious, since Kontakt and the player seem to.

Go Back to forum