• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clarify purpose of X-Custom...?

Share/Bookmark

Clarify purpose of X-Custom...?

If I understand correctly, the benefit(s) of using the X-Custom folder is that it allows for more extensive realtime control of each instrument via several new CC assignments. Is this right? If so, is there any reason NOT to use the X-Custom folder - I mean, who doesn't want MORE control?

Re: Clarify purpose of X-Custom...?

Uhm....

The X-Custom library patches allow you to define your volume/timbre control (change it from mod-wheel to breath control or velocity.) There are some additional benefits when using the X-Custom instruments (like Brightness control.)

The current downside is that changes made to the assignable slider, which defines the dynamic range of the X-Custom patches, is flaky at times. Once this issue is worked out, the patches will offer some benefit whether you need to reassign control or not. I use the X-Custom piano sometimes as well as some of the X-Custom percussion. The Brightness control is very useful for achieving a different sound out of the standard patches.

The only reason I have found not to use X-custom voices is that there is a bug in the Kontakt player that causes certain X-custom voices not to respond correctly to the the assigned controller after you save, close, and reopen a project. This has been discussed and confirmed by Tom Hopkins in a couple of other threads in this forum. NI has been notified...

The assignable slider feature in the X-custom voices lets you select which controller will control the timbre/volume, and the extent to which the controller will affect it (via the slider setting of +/- 100%). I don't believe it gives you more controllers.

The main difference I've found is that in the X-custom voices, setting the mod value to "0" will result in a true "0" volume, where in the non-X-custom voices, the voice is still audible at "0".

There's also the brightness control which comes in handy.

EDIT: I simply must type faster.
    Bill

@ Bill

There's one thing I'm good at, and its typing like a madman.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess by "more controllers" I was mostly talking about the "brightness" controller, and the ability to reassign the volume/timbre control.

The modwheel works fine for my use as far as volume/timbre go, so the only real benefit - for me - with the X-Custom folder would be the added brightness control. It doesn't appear that this is available with the standard folder/install...

The only reason I have found not to use X-custom voices is that there is a bug in the Kontakt player that causes certain X-custom voices not to respond correctly to the the assigned controller after you save, close, and reopen a project
    Isn't this a toxic flaw - rendering X custom unuseable?
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    Isn't this a toxic flaw - rendering X custom unuseable?
    Pretty toxic, but not unusable. Just not adjustable. NI knows of it and will fix it as soon as possible. As I've said before, don't expect the fix until after NAMM.

Tom

Go Back to forum