• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Riddle me this Midi Man!

Share/Bookmark

Question Riddle me this Midi Man!

This Riddle was sent to me via email from a friend (wow, I have friends?)

$ THE MISSING DOLLAR RIDDLE $
    Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????

Solution to come unless off course you already know it, posta it!
    Styxx

Re: Riddle me this Midi Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    How about this...

Make the following line shorter with out deleting anything from the ends.

-----------------

remove the gaps between the lines...?

Delete from the middle.

Lightbulb Re: Riddle me this Midi Man!

Make the following line shorter with out deleting anything from the ends.
    There are two possible solutions:

[1] delete from the non-ends (i.e., the middle and your statement did NOT say that was forbidden), or

[2] (the word processing solution) change the typeface to a
    smaller size.

KevinKauai

{For some reason, the VB Code "size" command does not accept negative sizes such as "size=-1"!}

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai

[2] (the word processing solution) change the typeface to a
    smaller size[size=+2].
    or change screen resolution
    Trent P. McDonald

But it's already a "One Liner" ya can't get any shorter than that!
    OK, that was baidt! Nuk nuk nuk!
    Styxx

Andrew, nice work!
    SOLUTION
    The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.
    Styxx

another way to look at this one:
    The following night two friends check into the same motel. Once again the clerk charges them $30, or $15 per person. After the clerk remembers the total rate is only $25 he sends the bellhop upstairs with five $1 bills to pay the two friends back. The bellhop knows he got away with larceny once so he tries it again. But this time he pockets $3 and returns $2 to the hotel guests ($1 per guest). So each of the two guests got $1 back from their original $15. Therefore each paid $14 which is a total payment of $28 for the room. Now the bellhop has $3, the guests paid $28, for a total of $31....THERE'S THE MISSING DOLLAR!!!!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I love stuff like that, that just makes you go, "huh?".
    ok

1. Old coins are usually worth a lot more than their face value, but why are 1989 cents worth almost 20 Dollars?

2. Who played for both England and France on the same afternoon at wemblay stadium?

3. Most english words are quiet short, although words of 15 letters or more aren't impossible. What is the longest word in the English language?

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    ok

1. Old coins are usually worth a lot more than their face value, but why are 1989 cents worth almost 20 Dollars?
    $19.89

2. Who played for both England and France on the same afternoon at wemblay stadium?
    The band.

3. Most english words are quiet short, although words of 15 letters or more aren't impossible. What is the longest word in the English language?
    smiles - it's a mile between the two S's

Or were you looking for antidisestablishmentarianism?

Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but then you put your two cents in? I want my change back!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Go Back to forum