• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: I can't see my harddrive - help!

Share/Bookmark

OT: I can't see my harddrive - help!

Yesterday my 80 gig sample harddrive went corrupt, so I bought a new 120 gig harddrive today, installed it with the jumper in the right place. I see it in my device manager, and it says things are working properly. Problem is, I can't see the drive in 'My Computer'. What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

- Aaron

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: I can't see my harddrive - help!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Yesterday my 80 gig sample harddrive went corrupt, so I bought a new 120 gig harddrive today, installed it with the jumper in the right place. I see it in my device manager, and it says things are working properly. Problem is, I can't see the drive in 'My Computer'. What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

- Aaron
    You need to partition the drive, and do a high-level format. The full instructions for mounting a hard drive are in Windows Help. It's very straightforward in XP, in W9x, you need to do a little bit of DOS. Either way, it's in the help.

I had this same fright last week with my newly acquired Lacie 160 gig harddrive.

You have to format it first before you can use it.

1/ right click on "My Computer"

2/ click "manage"

3/ under Storage, click Disk Management

4/ right click on the correct drive in the lower right pane

5/ click "format"

Then it should lead you through the proper steps. If you were to go to the Help menu in Windows XP, it will guide you along as well. This is of course assuming you are running Windows XP

Hope this helps!

-Dave

I forgot to mention, I'm using Win2k.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

One other tip: Since this is a sample-drive, use 32k or 64k clusters, for the best possible disk performance. The default clusters are way too small.

Since sample files are big, you don't waste space with big clusters (cluster = the amount of data that the heads read at one time). The only real benefit to small, standard sized clusters is if you're storing lots of little files...if there's less data in the file than the cluster size, the rest of the cluster is wasted. Since samples are WELL over that size, you're not wasting any appreciable space. So, you want to take advantage of larger clusters so that the head is reading as much data at once as is possible, up to the point where performance begins to decrease again. Bigger clusters equals less seeking equals better streaming performance...UNTIL you reach the point where the process is actually being slowed by the size of the cluster. This is now somewhat dependent upon how you use polyphony, how many different discrete samples you're streaming into the buffers. Many many short notes may never get past the sampler's prebuffers and begin streaming, so the disk load is actually low despite high polyphony. Many many long notes will have the disk seeking like crazy. This, incidentally, is why seek time is no big deal for DAW performance, but is one of the important bottlenecks in sampling. Lots of notes can go by very quickly, and the disk may have to seek some little portion of all of them. There is no other application to my knowledge that puts hard drives under as much stress as a streaming sampler.

Most drives I have had test "fastest" with 32k clusters. 64k usually slows down the works just a tad. If you can still find a copy of Jose Catena's DiskBench floating around the internet, it's the best little disk benchmarking program around--designed especially for audio.

Aaron,

The instructions with Win2K are the same as Dave gave you for XP.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

FAT32 or NTSF?

Go Back to forum