• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beginner workflow

Share/Bookmark

Beginner workflow

Just a newbie question. Is it common practice to have an audio track assigned for every midi channel?

Specifically, I'm writing a short piece for brass choir using EWQL Gold in Sonar4. I have about 15 different midi tracks, each with a different instrument selected in 2 instances of Gold. Right now I'm have 1 audio track per instance of Gold (for a total of 2). But the first thing I noticed when I played my parts was all the noise from the levels being too high by default. So I went and turned every instrument in Gold down to -6db to start and that seemed to normalize well. Then I thought perhaps the right way to do this was to run each instrument out on a different output in Kompakt and create an audio track per instrument and instead set the level there.

I'm just new to this stuff and I'm working thru the basics. What kind of workflow would you suggest for something like this?

Re: Beginner workflow

I typically arrange the outputs according to the techniques of mastering, reverb, and other post processing that needs to be done. And in the case of Gold, not usually any post processing is needed.

Something I usually do though, is that I flare the high ends of the low brass sections. So I will configure the tuba, trombone, and horn to go out the the same output so I can add a high shelf to give the brass a more punchy sound. You can also group them according to their families. Percussion, woodwind, strings, and brass.

Another method is grouping them in terms of role in a piece. Solo instruments will want to have a more forward, less spatial mix while the supporting roles will possibly need a tad more ambience.

It is based upon preference, but those are just a few ideas. You'll get the hand of it after playing with gold for a while.

Sean R. Beeson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    You can also group them according to their families. Percussion, woodwind, strings, and brass.
    This is typically what I do at first with Gold in Sonar. I may break some individual parts out if they require special processing but with Gold it's rarely necessary.

Chris

Thanks for the responses. Do you guys normalize the volumes inside the sampler, or do you do it on the Audio Tracks in the DAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    You can also group them according to their families. Percussion, woodwind, strings, and brass.
    That's generally what I do. I track everyting over to a Roland VS2480 and I have all the sectons in stereo pairs. I do all the subtle panning within sectons when it's still in Sonar/Gigastudio.

Go Back to forum