• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Looking for Composers

Share/Bookmark

Looking for Composers

Greetings all:

First Call Music, a music production house located in Southern California, is looking for composers able to produce music in "short form" (i.e., approximately one-minute in length) in a variety of styles. The tracks are being considered for inclusion in several new music libraries being prepared by FCM.

The styles being considered at this point are: Ambient, soft rock, electronica/techno, acoustic (guitar and/or piano), "sports" rock/metal, R&B, smooth jazz, hip-hop (not too hard), and acid jazz. These are "work for hire" compositions with all rights passing to FCM in exchange for negotiated payments. Stems will be required for various instrument groups (specific information will be provided to the composers chosen).

If you are interested, please send an e-mail to FirstCallMusic@AOL.com, and include the following information:

1. Name, address, age and general music background (including instruments played)
    2. Recording software used and confirmation that you can provide stems and full length audio tracks
    3. Which styles you can compose in (be realistic)
    4. Whether you presently write for any other music libraries (if so, list them)
    5. Whether you have ever composed as a "work for hire"
    6. Any experience/attribute you believe makes you valuable as a production music composer (keep this very short, please)

Do not attach any sound files to the e-mail, they will not be reviewed since we are simply reviewing composer backgrounds at this point. However, feel free to include a link to a site containing an mp3 file.

Thank you for your time,

Stephen McNamara
    First Call Music

Re: Looking for Composers

No experienced COmposer will seriously contemplate your offer unless you state the terms of agreement they might be entering.
    B

Question Re: Looking for Composers

Details?

Can you put a range on this? Everyone here has been offered $10 to write a song before

Thanks,
    JG

Waving all your copyrights for library music? Hehe, lol.

Success!

BTW, this is not an appropriate forum to post your request in. I think you need to post in Off Topic. I predict a short life for your topic in this forum...

Thumbs down Re: Looking for Composers

"Opportunities" like this are what reinforce my opinion that my music should be mainly for myself. Maybe someday I'll have enough quality work that I can insert myself into something worthwhile, instead of whoring myself out to predators.

Until then I shall be content to admire my peers (and vast betters) here at NorthernSounds. Music is food for the soul, a healing agent, and a chance to excercise my natural powers in contemplation of this life.

The masters have been dead for centuries, and centuries from now Madonna and Bob Dylan will be the Mozart and Beethoven of this day. I guess jingles, rent-a-stems, talk show intros, and other visual support can be worth aspiring to -- but that's more of a trade like plumbing, and less about reaching toward the meisterwerk. That said I do understand that perhaps this forum is mainly about the working pro; i.e., if you get paid you are a pro. Pros want and need to work fast so they can move on to the next client. But the demanding clients of today aren't like the nurturing/spiritual patrons of yesterday.

On the other hand it also seems that a lot of us hang around to soak up wisdom from the giving pros here, and that perhaps most of us aren't pros and won't ever be (or really want to be). As a kid I used to get depressed that in the West there are only 12 notes, with the best having already been done... and I guess I still sometimes feel like that.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    Waving all your copyrights for library music? Hehe, lol.

Success!

BTW, this is not an appropriate forum to post your request in. I think you need to post in Off Topic. I predict a short life for your topic in this forum...
    I'm not sure he means waving copyrights.

Well, he wrote:

"These are "work for hire" compositions with all rights passing to FCM in exchange for negotiated payments."

Sounds pretty definite to me

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    Well, he wrote:

"These are "work for hire" compositions with all rights passing to FCM in exchange for negotiated payments."

Sounds pretty definite to me

Cheers,
    I was making a distinction between the actual copyright ownership and copyright rights. As I understand it, the rights can be bought or sold freely but the creator still retains ownership of the copyright. This is not necessarily a bad arrangement. If a composer is well known and established, he has greater power of negotiation and most likely would keep all his rights, while someone needing exposure might gladly give up some rights to make some money, or to gain acceptance.

Of course, I don't know the details of the original poster's contract, so I don't know if it's a good deal or a royal screwing...I don't even know if it's legit. But if it's legit, it could possibly be a beneficial arrangement for some of us.

Go Back to forum