• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best/most silent tower for pro audio

Share/Bookmark

Best/most silent tower for pro audio

Hello,

I need to get a new pc and I'm really concerned about how much noise my current one makes.

I know the tower isn't that much responsible for the noise, it's rather the power supply and the fans, but are there any kind of "isolated" towers around ? I'm willing to pay the price if I get something that's worth it. I just need the most silent pc possible.

Thanks for your help !
    Nino
    News & Music here.

Re: Best/most silent tower for pro audio

I recently bought the Seasonic SuperSilencer 400W power supply, and I'm extremely impressed. It's very, very quiet.

I also bought a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink and a Vantek Stealth 120mm fan. It's very efficient, and quiet. The only thing better is the Zalman Reserator - it's silent and gets the CPU heat completely out of the case.

Other things to strive for are a fanless motherboard (Asus A8V-Deluxe in my case), a fanless graphics card (ATI 9200SE) and quiet hard drives (Seagates with fluid drive bearings).

You can also put your hard drives in cases, or put them in suspension systems (like you would a nice microphone).

Once you take these steps, a sound resistant case isn't really needed - especially with the Resorator.

Check out these links:

http://silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html
    http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

Enjoy!

-JF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I recently bought the Seasonic SuperSilencer 400W power supply, and I'm extremely impressed. It's very, very quiet.

I also bought a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink and a Vantek Stealth 120mm fan. It's very efficient, and quiet. The only thing better is the Zalman Reserator - it's silent and gets the CPU heat completely out of the case.

Other things to strive for are a fanless motherboard (Asus A8V-Deluxe in my case), a fanless graphics card (ATI 9200SE) and quiet hard drives (Seagates with fluid drive bearings).

You can also put your hard drives in cases, or put them in suspension systems (like you would a nice microphone).

Once you take these steps, a sound resistant case isn't really needed - especially with the Resorator.

Check out these links:

http://silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html
    http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

Enjoy!

-JF
    Hey, Jon...

Since I bought nearly everything else you did what case fans did you choose?

- Stefan

Case fans? I just cracked open the side of my case. It's cheaper and quieter.

The processor is about 40C at full load with the case open and 50C with the case closed. The reserator would be great in that it would pull all that heat out of the case for free.

BTW, I'm running the CPU fan at 11/16 (8.25V) using the Asus Q-Sound utility in the BIOS. I've got a spare Zalman fan controller that should get it down to 5V or so, but I haven't bothered with it yet.

-JF

Thanks a lot Jon !
    Thanks for the precious info.
    So it IS possible to have a quiet PC, neat

The Zalman Reserator is a water cooling system isn't it ?
    News & Music here.

Hi.

You may also want to check out the Zalman TNN500A case + fanless cooling system. TNN stands for Totally No Noise, which gives you an idea of what it claims to do. It takes care of the CPU, GPU, and case fan noise, and using Jon's tips for reducing the sound from hard drives you should have a very quiet system indeed. It does have certain restrictions on what you can put inside, but this is the first of what appears to be a family of silencer cases, so more flexible models may be produced in the near future. You may want to visit the website at www.zalman.co.kr for more information.

The other problem with it is that it's very expensive, but if you have the money, it may be worth a look ...

Wishing you peace and quiet,

Julio

Ho Thanks Julio !

But I already ordered a case, an Arctic Cooling Silentium T2, and I was about to use the above tips to make it even more noiseproof

But the Zalman thingy looks great anyway... But the limit seems to be 3.2ghz P4 with it.

the arctic cooling silentium looks good ! And it's cheap too
    News & Music here.

Cool Re: Best/most silent tower for pro audio

Heh sorry about being a little late on the ball; I'm glad you have things sorted .

Good luck with your Silentium,

Julio

Go Back to forum