• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Mirror

Share/Bookmark

The Mirror

Alright, this is the first piece I've created with GPO. It's a fairly short sequence which I'm scoring for an independant film. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated, since I'm new to all of this.

The Mirror

Re: The Mirror

Excellent! It sounds like you have GPO figured out
    Great!

DPDAN

Smile Re: The Mirror

A lot of good ideas come bubbling down the pike on this one! Very ambitious in 1:45, indeed!

But, for me, the "tutti"s are just not orchestrally convincing. Not enough "oomph!" and the dramatic effect seems undercut by not quite "doing it". Also, not sure how you're are mixing, but there's an all-over "canned-ness" that seems to invade after the first 30 seconds and never really goes away. (My analogy would be that the intensity of the piece feels constrained and pinched like an overly plump matron in a way-too-tight corset. The final moments from around 1:35 are relieved of that feeling, so I think you have some challenges in the mix to deal with.

I hope this helps ... KevinKauai

I might add a few things after hearing it again. You need to get the free update and install it, it takes care of the clicking in the right channel on some instruments like flute. Also, at 2:19, the bassoon, oboe or maybe french horn has created a huge harmonic (overtone) that is only evident in this section where another instrument is playing the same note, (A) but in another octave. This sometimes can create a tone that sounds exactly like PA system feedback. Take a listen, I just wanted to point out these few things to you, but otherwise an excellent first piece!

DPDAN

Great first piece!

Just one thought about the mix:

The fast moving string line at 0:30 starts to get lost in the mix at about 0:42. When a similar string part enters (1:03 - 1:19) it's almost completely drowned by the strong brass playing. This kind of line really adds to the forward momentum of the piece - but only if it stays audible!

I know from experience, that mixing this type of piece (where the textures grow organically) can take a lot of work and patience - but with a great piece like this it's worth the effort!

Mark.
    As in music - so in life!

Damn good, would suit a film with dinosoars...bearing in mind where you live!!

Frank

Cool guys, thanks for the input. I have to admit that I'm not the best with mixing, but I'm working at it. I'd probably be better off just composing the music and letting someone who knows what he's doing take care of mixing it, lol. I'll work on it some more and try to improve it.

What! What are ya talkin? Let me listen to this again....
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: The Mirror

but there's an all-over "canned-ness"
    Although I like the overall construction of the piece, I have to agree with Kevin on this point. However, I didn't hear the overtone DPDAN was talking about. Might be my speakers as well.
    I do like the piece.
    Styxx

Ok, I changed several things about this version. How does it sound now?

The Mirror (revised)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast