• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pizzicato in String Ensemble Building?

Share/Bookmark

Pizzicato in String Ensemble Building?

If been working on a rendition of one of my favorite Mozart scores and I've been enjoying playing with the string ensemble building techniques available through all the individual player patches.

My problem is this:

What do I do for the pizzicato passages?

There are only 3 solo pizz patches for violins and one each for violas, cello and basses. Obviously not enough to build ensembles. If i use the section pizzicato patches, my string section will suddenly triple in size!

Has anyone got any tips/experience with working round this problem?

Many thanks,

Mark
    As in music - so in life!

Re: Pizzicato in String Ensemble Building?

Mark,

The first thing I would try is to use the section pizz, despite the larger section size, and see how it integrates with the particular ensemble you have constructed (forget the fact that you know that the section pizz contains more instruments - just use your ears).

If that experiment fails, I would suggest:

1. Multi-tracking the solo pizz with differing panning and timing data for each pass to build the size you need. Use the "freeze" function of your sequencer to save resources, if necessary.

2. Mixing a small amount of the section pizz in with the solo pizz to help give the illusion of more players without overwhelming the solo instruments.

Tom

Re: Pizzicato in String Ensemble Building?

Thanks Tom,

I try your suggestions out and report back.

Mark.
    As in music - so in life!

Go Back to forum