• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help requested for a brand new GPO user

Share/Bookmark

Question Help requested for a brand new GPO user

Folks, tonight I received GPO in a Fedex package, and naturally couldn't wait to install it. After having done so, I read that I needed to move a modulation control on my MIDI keyboard, in order to hear any sounds. My MIDI keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-510, and as far as I know, doesn't have a modulation control.
    I am just starting out learning about MIDI, and do not know how to patch control events to keys, wheels, etc., I just wanted to hear some sounds from GPO tonight. I have Finale 2005, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Cubasis vst 4.0, and a Proteus X package with the E-MU 0404 sound card in this machine, and I would like to use GPO with all of these components, if at all possible.
    Can someone point me to a good MIDI tutorial, or some simple way to start listening to sounds? I really don't understand how everything works together, but I have recorded MIDI sequences with Cakewalk and I have used Finale to write a couple of pieces.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks so much, Richard Dillon

Re: Help requested for a brand new GPO user

Hi Richard, you are excited I can tell
    I too am very new to midi, and I can tell you that you can at least use the mouse and move the mod wheel on the player's keyboard on the screen. Eventually you will definately need to get a keyboard that has a mod wheel, or at least a slide fader that you can use to play in (program) the mod wheel data into the midi track/s of your sequencer. The mod wheel carries with it not just volume changes, but note timber as well with the use of sample crossfades, and therefore is necessary to accomplish natural, real sounding phrases. Of course you could use the draw feature, and draw the mod wheel data into the sequencer midi tracks. I hope this gets you going for at least tonight.
    Don't forget to get some sleep...

DPDAN

Richard,

I see from Googling your model of keyboard that it does have a pitch-bend wheel.

Try installing the "PW-Map" Midi FX plugin from here, and load it into your MIDI track(s) in Cakewalk PA9. It should let you use your pitch-bend wheel instead of a mod wheel.

Hope this helps,
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon
    Folks, tonight I received GPO in a Fedex package, and naturally couldn't wait to install it. After having done so, I read that I needed to move a modulation control on my MIDI keyboard, in order to hear any sounds. My MIDI keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-510, and as far as I know, doesn't have a modulation control.
    I am just starting out learning about MIDI, and do not know how to patch control events to keys, wheels, etc., I just wanted to hear some sounds from GPO tonight. I have Finale 2005, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Cubasis vst 4.0, and a Proteus X package with the E-MU 0404 sound card in this machine, and I would like to use GPO with all of these components, if at all possible.
    Can someone point me to a good MIDI tutorial, or some simple way to start listening to sounds? I really don't understand how everything works together, but I have recorded MIDI sequences with Cakewalk and I have used Finale to write a couple of pieces.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks so much, Richard Dillon

Well, Richard,I do not have a mod wheeel on my Fatar controller keyboard, or anywhere else. I don't miss it, don't really need it. Depending on what you are doing, you could probably get by forever without it.

However, there is available at the Garritan Support site, a free download of a midi mapping plug in, which allows you to map velocity to modulation, or whatever you want to whatever you have. Also, in setup, select ignore mod wheel instead of default. You also have the option of using your mouse to draw in modulation. And should you really want to get one, there are external usb gidgets available that will include a mod wheel or a wheel that you can map mod information to.

I am presently doing mostly piano and pipe organ work, neither of which needs a mod wheel. But I have done some other instumental work and have some more awaiting my attention. I do not expect to be hampered by the absence of the mod wheel.

Richard

Ah yes, don't you just love the feeling of opening that box and installing GPO for the first time?

I don't have a mod wheel either(hmm, actually that's because I don't even have a midi controller for it to be on, lol). I plan to eventually invest in one, but for now I find that using the draw feature, as DPDAN said, works great. It's a bit of a pain, but hey, as long as you can hear it, that's what matters most right?

By the way, don't worry about sleep, music is all that matters. The first time I worked with GPO, I stayed up all night and all the next day working on it(caffeine is a miracle, lol). Good luck and have fun.

yo I am new to GPO too that is I have only done a couple of productions with it so far.
    Better to have a controller on your keyboard do CC1 slider whatever, you can use GPO studio for Finale and run the sounds in that playing what you compose. The plugin
    that changes the pitch wheel to CC1 worked ok, but wasn't the greatest to me. you could use GPO in Cubase VST as well record you tracks to audio mix efx etc. In CakeWalk 9 you can use the sound of the proteus X and your keyboard and GPO, send to efx to different busses etc. Record tracks to sub groups mix subgroups, Pretty much do all the full production in there.
    I have the EMU 1212M myself, right now I am mixing electronic music in Ablton Live 4 and not using GPO at the moment. But will be using GPO again soon for some Japanese Soundscape music(probably just the lush strings and percussion) anywayz Good Luck! I think GPO is great I think that piano is totally awesome!

Folks, thanks so much for most generous offers of advice and help. I wan't able to try these last night, but I hope to this evening, and will report to you my results. I just put in the E-MU 0404 and Proteus X last Sunday, and I still don't know or understand routing ASIO around. I'm really looking forward to playing with Cakewalk to see if this will work with my old version of PA9. I read your suggestion, but I'm not sure that I know how to plug in the FX into the MIDI track. At any rate, I'm most grateful for all your help, and hopefully, soon I'll be hearing great orchestra sounds! Thanks so much, and if you have any more suggestions or have knowledge of any tutorials for learning about MIDI or using these tools together, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again, Richard

help, and hopefully, soon I'll be hearing great orchestra sounds! Thanks so much, and if you have any more suggestions or have knowledge of any tutorials for learning about MIDI or using these tools together, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again, Richard[/QUOTE]

ok hey you sound like you really a beginner which is fine everyone is at some point. ^_* Please refer to the link below to learn about midi and audio production. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Folks, thanks so much for most generous offers of advice and help. I wan't able to try these last night, but I hope to this evening, and will report to you my results. I just put in the E-MU 0404 and Proteus X last Sunday, and I still don't know or understand routing ASIO around. I'm really looking forward to playing with Cakewalk to see if this will work with my old version of PA9. I read your suggestion, but I'm not sure that I know how to plug in the FX into the MIDI track. At any rate, I'm most grateful for all your help, and hopefully, soon I'll be hearing great orchestra sounds! Thanks so much, and if you have any more suggestions or have knowledge of any tutorials for learning about MIDI or using these tools together, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again, Richard
    Well, with PA9, I think you will need to get the Cakewalk VST adapter to use the VST version. You might already have the DXi capablility with it, but as has been pointed out, there is a tempo bug with the DXi (which I have not experienced). In any event, GPO Studio will work, although it is more demanding on your CPU.

Richard

I'm really looking forward to playing with Cakewalk to see if this will work with my old version of PA9. I read your suggestion, but I'm not sure that I know how to plug in the FX into the MIDI track.
    Well, if it works the same way as in later versions, install the MFX into the directory where your other MIDI FX plugins reside; then, the next time you start PA9, it should be available.

Judging from screenshots I've found on the Internet, it looks like in PA9 you have to go into the console view, right-click on the effects bin for the MIDI track you want to add it to, and select it from the pop-up menu.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum