• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-Vaughan Williams score

Share/Bookmark

OT-Vaughan Williams score

Does anybody know where I can find a study score for Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antarctica? It was a favorite of mine long before I had any interest in film music, but I can't find it in any of the usual places.

Re: OT-Vaughan Williams score

Quote Originally Posted by seanmccoy
    Does anybody know where I can find a study score for Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antarctica? It was a favorite of mine long before I had any interest in film music, but I can't find it in any of the usual places.
    My parents had an Adrian Boult LP of Sinfonia Antartica that I never got tired of listening to as a lad. That was back in the early sixties, and even then, at the age of six or seven, I made the connection between it and the music in movies such as Mysterious Island (although I had no idea who Bernard Herrmann was then).

Good luck finding the score, though. Usually when I want to check it out again from the music library at the university where I work, somebody else already has it checked out, even when all VW's other symphonies are on the shelf. It's certainly not public-domain, and every time I've looked, a study score was a little more than I was willing to pay (as in $50 at sheetmusicplus.com). But I reckon it's a must-study for all budding film composers.

Greg

Re: OT-Vaughan Williams score

I just found it at Sheetmusic Plus.

Search for Sinfonia Antartica in the power search window and it should come right up. One thing to watch out for is the spelling: "Antartica", not "Antarctica." (I mention this because it took me a couple of tries to figure it out.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum