• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: why GPO does not have non-vibrato solo strings...please

Share/Bookmark

why GPO does not have non-vibrato solo strings...please

I still cannot believe, after a lot of research seems confirmed that all solo strings in GPO have live vibrato , and that its not possible to use non-vibrato solo strings, excuse me but I really cannot understand it, at all,

lets imagine we had a library with vocal patches , a soprano that we could only used singing with vibrato , and never without it, it would be unusable!!!

violin is different ok, but still there are many situations in which nonvibrato solo violins are needed, and I cannot understand the difficulty that would mean that they existed from the beginning in GPO, apart from obliging people to buy the expensive garritan strings library........................

and if thats the reason, thats pathetic

as a composer, I need to be able to use non-vibrato solo strings also, I reviewed GPO and I found it fantastic in everything, in everything except that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and only for that I would not buy it!!!

what I would like to know is, WHY on earth they didnt include non-vibrato strings, was it SO difficult ???

so far I have none of them, Im trying to decide which one to buy, but this problem with GPO is turning me off

thank u for any info

Jav

Re: why GPO does not have non-vibrato solo strings...please

Jav, I really think you need to calm down here.

Here's a reality check for you: It is not possible for a sample developer to anticipate everybody's needs. I for one was disappointed that GPO didn't include string harmonics or sul ponticello tremolo. But I didn't get my nose out of joint over it.

GPO is still a fantastic value. Gary and his team have put together an astonishingly versatile package at a very reasonable price. I hope you'll be able to get past your disappointment and begin to explore its potential.

(Also, I don't believe that EWQLSO Silver has non-vibrato solo strings.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

sorry Re: why GPO does not have non-vibrato solo strings...please

yes, I apologise if I sounded passionate in my remarks, sorry guys Im mediterranean and temperamental

I like GPO very very much, the best Ive ever seen,
    thats why the lack of NV strings affected me, its the only thing missing

but I totally agree that Its a fantastic package and I insist, the vest quality/value one Ive ever seen in my life

all best

Jav

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    Your remarks are a touch on the inflammatory side there bud.

My suggestion? Listen to some of the demos using the stringed instruments and decide from there if the GPO is worth it's cost to you. Considering it's an entire orchestra the lack of vibrato control is just a minor annoyance for me, but everyone has their own needs.

My advice is that if you enjoyed GPO up until you found out there weren't NV strings is to pick up GPO as a base for your orchestral palate and specialize as needed by augmenting it from there. GPO has a deal with Vienna for discounts.

sorryyyy Re: why GPO does not have non-vibrato solo strings...please

ok ok , re-reading my post , its overtemperamental and stupyd, I apologise, sorry sorry and sorry

I love GPO and I think I will buy it probably and expand from it, I guess I will try to find extra strings with NV and V to combine with GPO

best
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    I still cannot believe, after a lot of research seems confirmed that all solo strings in GPO have live vibrato , and that its not possible to use non-vibrato solo strings, excuse me but I really cannot understand it, at all,

lets imagine we had a library with vocal patches , a soprano that we could only used singing with vibrato , and never without it, it would be unusable!!!

violin is different ok, but still there are many situations in which nonvibrato solo violins are needed, and I cannot understand the difficulty that would mean that they existed from the beginning in GPO, apart from obliging people to buy the expensive garritan strings library........................

and if thats the reason, thats pathetic

as a composer, I need to be able to use non-vibrato solo strings also, I reviewed GPO and I found it fantastic in everything, in everything except that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and only for that I would not buy it!!!

what I would like to know is, WHY on earth they didnt include non-vibrato strings, was it SO difficult ???

I dont know if EW/QL silver has nonvibrato solo string patches, I wonder now

so far I have none of them, Im trying to decide which one to buy, but this problem with GPO is turning me off

thank u for any info

Jav

Javier,

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I hope that you find what you need. GPO is the only library that I currently own and it will probably be the only one I own for a very long while. It is very effective. My suggestion is to go back to the music shop and play with it some more. You'll probably discover that the lack on non vibrato strings is really not that big a deal. Good luck. Like Joseph and everyone else said in your other post on this subject, there are updats and new libraries coming out all of the time.

Jonny

By the way, if you knew Gary and his team, then you would know that remarks like this are not found anywhere in their vocabulary!

"violin is different ok, but still there are many situations in which nonvibrato solo violins are needed, and I cannot understand the difficulty that would mean that they existed from the beginning in GPO, apart from obliging people to buy the expensive garritan strings library........................

and if thats the reason, thats pathetic"

Garritan Orchestral Libraries is the most unique company I have every come acrossed. I hope you can look past your "irritations" and join the rest of us. :-)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

OK, you just posted twice while I was responding! :-)

It sounds like a good idea. Welcome to the fold!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Garritan's Orchestral Strings library does not include solo instruments, just sections.

I agree with Dan, it is impossible to anticipate everybody's needs. Gary and Tom had to make their decissions to build up a versatile skeleton of an orchestra. That's the purpose of GPO, don't forget this point. GPO is an sketchpad or a learning tool for newbie orchestrators, and that's why it only includes basic articulations. But this does not mean that the quality of what you can achieve with it can be astounishing.

Anton

and what about the vibrato control for the winds in latest update

so yes, I do love GPO , it was a hard day today and had a temperamental post I guess,

so the thing was basically, I was violin player for 5 years, now I play piano, I guess what I was looking for , was not so much a nonvibrato patch , as the possibility to play a violin solo sound that for example started with nonvibrato and later added some vibrato or that the level of vibrato changed or that started with vibrato and then changed to nonvibrato, but I admit Im not an expert in virtual instruments and maybe this is not even possible in any library around, and then I guess the only possibility is having a nonvibrato patch and a vibrato patch and just use each one whenever is possible

I just know that when I listened in the past to any orchestral library the thing that sounds the most artificial for me is the constant level of string vibrato that stays always the same and doesnt change,

but I insist, GPO is simply superb, I remember 2 years ago listening to the Edirol orchestra and thinking that it was great, well, GPO is a thousand times better , its so good and so cheap that I guess then one just wants it to be totally perfect, which I know, its not fair

but I just read a minute ago about the latest update to the GPO and it says if I understand well that there is a new control , vibrato control for the
    winds, this solo winds vibrato control, which allows to change dinamically the vibrato of wind instruments as you play , wow, I mean, thats simply amazing!!!!

so I mean, could that also be done with the solo strings? will they maybe add it in a future update?

by the way I didnt know that garritan string libraries had only sections and not solos, thats interesting, so u mean that string solos are only in the GPO then?

smiles
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    ok I understand that nothing can be perfect and I was overtemperamental in my writing, so apologies for that

I do love GPO and I will probably buy it and then maybe combine it with other strings that have NV and V

in any case, any idea if garritan will add NV in future versions?

all best and apologies
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by galvedro
    Garritan's Orchestral Strings library does not include solo instruments, just sections.

I agree with Dan, it is impossible to anticipate everybody's needs. Gary and Tom had to make their decissions to build up a versatile skeleton of an orchestra. That's the purpose of GPO, don't forget this point. GPO is an sketchpad or a learning tool for newbie orchestrators, and that's why it only includes basic articulations. But this does not mean that the quality of what you can achieve with it can be astounishing.

Anton

Decisions had to be made when designing the library to keep the size small and managable. This means that the most used string articulations were used. These cover 95% of most orchestral music. One of the main features of the library was the ensemble building feature. This is why there are a variety of solo instruments that include vibrato.

QLSO orchestra doesn't include non-vibrato instruments either even in Gold plus there is only a single violin and cello.

Another thing to remember that the library includes quite a few instruments not found in other libraries and the price is only $249 up to this point (New list price is $279). It's quite a bargain.

Wait for the future announcements for GPO Advanced edition.

I know , the prize is fantastic, I definitely think its the best quality/prize product,
    yes Ive heard of the advanced edition GPO, will definitely keep my eyes open for that one also
    thank u for all the info
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Decisions had to be made when designing the library to keep the size small and managable. This means that the most used string articulations were used. These cover 95% of most orchestral music. One of the main features of the library was the ensemble building feature. This is why there are a variety of solo instruments that include vibrato.

QLSO orchestra doesn't include non-vibrato instruments either even in Gold plus there is only a single violin and cello.

Another thing to remember that the library includes quite a few instruments not found in other libraries and the price is only $249 up to this point (New list price is $279). It's quite a bargain.

Wait for the future announcements for GPO Advanced edition.

Go Back to forum