• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Idea for new Kompakt players

Share/Bookmark

Idea for new Kompakt players

From what I'm reading, I really like the idea of the way Stylus RMX works in the sense that it provides the general interface plug-in which can then be expanded by purchasing the additional modules or converting the existing Akai sources. Essentially though, the main Stylus RMX offers a nice "wrapper" to keep it all in. Organized and efficient methinks!

I wish that Kompakt based instruments followed a similar logic. IE. I think that developers should distribute an easily updatable and installable (and freely downloadable) Kompakt player module with no content. Then as the user puchases products from the stores, these can be installed, authorized and accessed by the unified Kompakt player.

Right now, every time I purchase a new Kompakt or Intakt based library I feel that my plug-in menus are getting more and more cluttered and confusing. I have to constantly go and look up for the available updates for each module. I totally dread the day when I update to a new computer and I'll have to deal with re-installing, re-authorizing and re-updating all of my Kompakt and Intakt libraries.

I think as more and more libraries come out, it will become more and more convoluted to keep everything updated and easy to access.

Plus I confess a certain sense of skepticism when I think that all of these plug-ins are not affecting overall system stability.

I would like to see East West, Native Instruments and all of the other developers work towards a more unified system of implementing this technology.

I would like to hear others' thoughts on this subject. Do you feel your workflow is being affected by having to manage all of these plug-ins? Do you feel like your system stability is affected? Do you feel that there's gotta be a better way to do this?

I would also like to hear from Doug and some of the other developers as to what their general feeling are about this.

I certainly wouldn't be mentioning it if it wasn't something that is starting to bother me, I hope I'm not alone and that something can be done to improve the current implementation of the technology.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: Idea for new Kompakt players

No, you are not alone with this. I have the Komplete2 so I have all Kontakt, Kompakt and Impakt licences. I use Kontakt as my main sampler but I've never used either Kompakt or Intakt as all the libraries come with the dedicated player version. I have one library using Intakt and four libraries using Kompakt plus the Komplete2. For me it would seem reasonable to get rid of the multiple players and do a system where every library would be added to the same player. The player could still be free and be included with the library but you wouldn't have to install it if you already had it. Is there even any Intakt/Kompakt libraries that don't include the player?

Kontakt pretty much is the 'integrated solution' for all kompakt/intakt based VI's.

imo, having the kompakt/intakt player included is icing on the cake, as with other competitve samplers, you must purchase the lib AND the sampler separately. This way a casual user only needs to buy the lib.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricRichmond
    Kontakt pretty much is the 'integrated solution' for all kompakt/intakt based VI's.

imo, having the kompakt/intakt player included is icing on the cake, as with other competitve samplers, you must purchase the lib AND the sampler separately. This way a casual user only needs to buy the lib.

-Eric
    Yes, Idealy..Kontakt is the master wrapper. If your sick of all you Kompakt VSTi`s cluttering your plug-in folder you could deleat them from there and just use Kontakt to load in each Lib. You dont need the included Kompakt player to use the libs.
    One thing i like about RMX on a GUI level that Kontakt could take a lesson from is how you can toggle between windows like flipping pages as opposed to Kontakts "Modulareverythingscrammed on one screen" thing. I makes it harder to edit multiple instruments. I was please to find Absynth 3 get over this GUI meyhem. Maybe the Kontakt team will take notice for the upcoming Kontakt 2... .Rich

Quote Originally Posted by EricRichmond
    That's true. Still it doesn't solve some problems. First, the Intakt libraries aren't as informative in Kontakt as the keyboard layout isn't shown. Secondly, using Kontakt I don't get all the libraries in a nice tree with branches opening on mouse-over but an endless directory list which I have to roll back and forth and open and close subdirectories.

Ditto on that one.

I was just about to point out that when I use Kontakt to open my QLSO and other libraries, it's a navigation nightmare!

I really like the streamlined way that the Kompakt players open their respective libraries. That is part of the reason as to why I buy them to begin with, not just the sounds but the actual ease of use. Now all I need is for them to be all integrated with the same interface within one module (with subfolder heading of course, but not like Kontakt).

Also, pleeeease NI, change the names. Kompakt and Kontakt are too closely named that it's so confusing to refer to them or read about them and not accidentally get confused.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Intersting.

I just added favorites to point to the relevant base directories of the Kompakt-based stuff and haven't had any navigational problems since.

I agree a smoother, tighter integration would be welcomed however.

All good points l think. Whilst we're on the subject of NI interfaces, they absolutely have to introduce a search function ala Giga.

I run everything out of Kontakt/Kompakt plugins now (except for Spectrasonics stuff) and am already finding it hard to remember the locations of some samples I havent used in a while.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Yeah, I'm really hoping that Kontakt2 adds in features for more hardcore sample lib users. I think Kontakt was very smart in starting out being the 'synth sampler' to differentiate itself and capture much of the market of people who wanted a simple sampler with hardcore effects. But with K2 I really hope they decide to add a ton of features that giga has.

A standard software interface would be nice too; cut, paste, undo, etc.

Maybe even a seperate NI editing program?
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum