• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX seems to overload core audio much too easily

Share/Bookmark

RMX seems to overload core audio much too easily

Yes, RMX does seem to overload core audio much too easily.

It's a little worrying.
    In one of the songs, only 2 track of the same instance of RMX gets real difficult to play through. But the same song with RMX taken out is playing fine!
    I have a perfectly functioning G5 2x2G 1.5GbRam MOTU2408...

Feedback welcome.
    MT

Re: RMX seems to overload core audio much too easily

It depends entirely HOW you are using RMX, not that you are using RMX....If you are using a lot of Edit Groups and FX on each of the edit groups, that can use a lot of CPU, so you have to manage it carefully.

I have a similar system, and what you described is not average performance for RMX by any means. A dual 2 gig G5 can very easily handle several RMXs playing simultaneous multiple parts.

Explain more of what you are doing, and there's probably something you are doing that's adding to the CPU usage very heavily.

spectrum

Well, there are a couple of relevant instances. Relevant because their quite different scenarios (all in Logic7):

Maximum 4 channels in this first case.
    in total 6 RMX FXs and aux outputs.
    Nothing else playing.
    Although I felt that my G5 was able to handle a very large amount of processing, this didn't alarm me beyond a point...after all, RMX could be just a little hungry and I should "capture" my loops in order to free the FX ...

But it's doing it sometimes with only 2 instances of the same RMX channel and no fx...
    In this second case, RMX is used along with a couple of other AudioInstr's. (EXS and 1 Kontakt- the latter using only two channels of its multimode)
    ...Here, as soon as the timeline gets into the RMX's tracks (not even necessary to hit the point at which both RMX objects are active, just the first one is enough) I get an "overload" message (...core audio wasn't able to process...etc)

BTW: It's passed the validation etc, ans I've updated RMX to 1.1
    Could this be a bit more sensitive than it should be ? ...it looks like perhaps I'm over-estimating my G5 somewhat...I mean a real reference point would be welcome...if the above examples seem fine to you, I'd be very glad to know it...is there an I/O buffer etc setting that has been found that favors more efficient RMX/cpu relationship? or other settings I'm not aware of?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best
    B

Two instances of RMX definitely eats of more CPU headroom, so it's better to work with one instance and multiple parts on one RMX plug-in.

What 6 FX? Every effect uses different amounts of CPU...Power Filter and Easy Verb use the most.

Are you using Edit Groups?

Are you using the Power Filter on the Edit Page? That uses a lot of CPU too.

Your description sounds like way too high usage compared to normal usage.

spectrum

Stylus RMX is pretty flexible. You can ask it do a lot. Generally speaking it doesn't use a lot of cpu, but the more you ask it to do, the more cpu it requires. The less you ask it to do, the less cpu it requires. So, it's hard to say, for a particular instance, whether the cpu is being "overloaded too easily". It all depends on what you're trying to do with it.

See the FAQ page at http://www.spectrasonics.net for tips on how to minimize the amount of cpu RMX requires. If, after that, you feel it is using more cpu than it should, please save a multi and send it to support@spectrasonics.net or share it with other users here. They'll be able to look at it and provide you with advice.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Two instances of RMX definitely eats of more CPU headroom, so it's better to work with one instance and multiple parts on one RMX plug-in.
    Oh, yes, I must have said this wrong...I meant the same instance of RMX but the same track/part twice (same Logic Channel twice)

What 6 FX? Every effect uses different amounts of CPU...Power Filter and Easy Verb use the most.
    I will keep that in mind, of course, these are useful distinctions...

Are you using Edit Groups?
    No, no edit groups at this stage...would you recommend it? or do you mean it would be a high CPU usage factor?

Are you using the Power Filter on the Edit Page? That uses a lot of CPU too.
    Your description sounds like way too high usage compared to normal usage.

spectrum
    I'll check whether I was using the filter on the edit page...but, I am quite relieved to see that you seem to sugggest that my CPU usage is in fact a bit all over the place in the way I am budgetting the resources within RMX.
    It does eliminate some much more serious trouble and while I am starting know RMX enough to really appreciate it as a great tool, I should get my G5 processing power in perspective and be a little less carefree...which I have been CPU-wise ever since I got this mad machine coming from a struggling G4 a few months ago!

Very grateful.
    I'll keep an eye on this forum to glean any bits of wisdom about it in the future.
    B

Go Back to forum