• Register
  • Help

Topic: No Keyboard response in Personal Orchestra Studio/Cubasis VST

Share/Bookmark

No Keyboard response in Personal Orchestra Studio/Cubasis VST

Hi everyone
    I just purchased GPO and installed the updates! The sounds are AWESOME!
    I too want to thank Gary and his team for this incredible work of art!

I have a USB M-Audio evolution MK-461C controller keyboard that works fine with the GPO KONTAKT player in its stand alone mode.
    Once I get into Personal Orchestra Studio or Cubasis, the KONTAKT VST player launches and the only way I can get the keys to work is to push them with the mouse. I noticed that there is NO setup feature in the VST version of Kontakt, unlike the standalone version.

What's strange is Cubasis is detecting my controller keyboard in the tests and I can play the default libraries that come with Cubasis. But, the keys don't respond as soon as the Kontakt VST GPO player comes up. It's back to the mouse.

I have Sonar 4 on the way- so perhaps that might resolve things.
    Any ideas into what may be causing this?
    Thanks for any assistance,
    -Eric

Re: No Keyboard response in Personal Orchestra Studio/Cubasis VST

Quote Originally Posted by interacts
    Hi everyone

I have a USB M-Audio evolution MK-461C controller keyboard that works fine with the GPO KONTAKT player in its stand alone mode.
    Once I get into Personal Orchestra Studio or Cubasis, the KONTAKT VST player launches and the only way I can get the keys to work is to push them with the mouse. I noticed that there is NO setup feature in the VST version of Kontakt, unlike the standalone version.

What's strange is Cubasis is detecting my controller keyboard in the tests and I can play the default libraries that come with Cubasis. But, the keys don't respond as soon as the Kontakt VST GPO player comes up. It's back to the mouse.

-Eric
    Hi Eric, from how I understand it, the single instance (stand alone) Kontakt player, will respond to midi from an outside source, however, GPO's studio does not such as when your sequencer is on a separate computer. You will need a program like Steinberg's V-STack in order to run more than one instance of Kontakt or, more than eight sounds simultaneously. That's what I understand anyway. I use Digital Performer on a MAC with GPO on a separate PC, and the only way I could get multiple instances of GPO Kontakt player was to use V-STack on that PC. It is $59.99 from Steinberg's website and is a real nice piece of software to do exactly what I think you need. I have also read that the order in which you open programs affects the ability for one program to "see" the other, so experiment, that may be your only problem.

DPDAN

I just re-read your post and it appears as though you are using the sequencer software that came with GPO. If that's the case, I think you CAN do what you are wanting to do, but I don't know how to help you.
    Someone else will be strolling along here shortly and will surely help you out.
    Dan

Re: No Keyboard response in Personal Orchestra Studio/Cubasis VST

Quote Originally Posted by interacts
    Hi everyone

-Eric
    I believe you don't need the VST function when running the stand alone version. You do need it with Studio. Are you sure you installed the VST option when you installed GPO?

Richard Wayland

Smile Re: Working keyboard in CUBASIS VST!

Thanks dpdan and rwayland for your advice.
    It led me to searching the knowledge base of native instruments kontakt player for this issue.
    After installing new drivers for my evolution keyboard (still had no effect)
    I went to the KONTAKT knowledge base and found that the Kontakt player had to be inserted into a track on a sequencer.
    I loaded 2 separate VST instruments of Personal Orchestra
    I then changed my track to PersonalOrchestraVS1, VS2 etc. INSTEAD of GPO studio 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or usb device or MS Wavetable. Very confusing.

Anyway, it works! I am relieved after banging my head against the wall for the last few days.
    I however am not able to get my keyboard to operate in Garritan Personal Studio, but I guess that's not a big issue as the Sequencer is the most important place.

Now, I'll be trying to get Ambience to work properly in the sequencer.

Thanks again!

Re: Working keyboard in CUBASIS VST!

Interacts, troubleshooting always seems to make me think "this is just not going to work, and now I am going to have to buy something else"

After taking the time, and being as patient as possible, finally an idea comes to mind and with some changes and adjustments, IT WORKS!

I feel your pain, but also am happy to hear that you got it going.
    DPDAN

Go Back to forum