• Register
  • Help

Topic: What instrument is this?

Share/Bookmark

What instrument is this?

Hi there's this instrument in this track that I don't know what it is, it sounds like maybe a deep horn or something? I'm not sure.. I uploaded a clip here
    right after the little flute thing at the beginning and the chorus starts there's this small line played by something...does anyone know exactly what it is?? btw its a limited download space so plz answer. I'm beginner

Re: What instrument is this?

A muted french horn section?

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    A muted french horn section?
    yeah, odd, it sounds sort of half muted or something. Maybe just hand way up in the bell. Definitely horns though, I would think.

Project SAM has a patch that might work for that.

Seems to be hand half way in. The Project SAM muted (stopped) horn sounds more brassy. The clip seems to be sampled, maybe the horns are from Dan Dean? Just a hunch, I don't have that one myself.

I don't think those are muted horns - I think they sound like what mezzoforte horns sound like in sample libraries that don't actually have naturally recorded samples in that range, and use velocity crossfading instead. It sounds like most of what you're hearing is from the lower dynamic layer, but you can still hear a little bit of the forte, brassy sound coming in at an unnaturally-quiet volume.

Of course, if this isn't done with samples (though I think it is), then I'm obviously wrong.

Sounds like regular French Horns played low - or maybe even a single horn.

Sounds good. Where is it from?

Of course, if this isn't done with samples (though I think it is),
    Pretty awesome strings if those are samples

No, I don't think the horns are samples, the song was made around 1995 I think, and I'm not sure whether the fancy samples of today were available then. I just wanted to know what instrument played it. The community center here is putting on a show with the band and I wanted to know which intstrument could resemble it the best. It's actually a semi-famous (well in terms of production value) song, quite excellent. Created by experienced composer.

Sounds good. Where is it from?
    It's a song (not just music) of which the composer's name fails me, but I could send you the full thing if you leave an email.

Go Back to forum