• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do Ivory samples start at hammer-strike?

Share/Bookmark

Do Ivory samples start at hammer-strike?

I have tried several demo versions of pianos and found that the PMI pianos, although nice sounding, are unusable for live playing. The main problem seems to be that the samples do not start when the hammer hits the string, but earlier. This introduces a very annoying "latency". The pianos from Sampletekk don't suffer from this "problem".

I have searched the forum, but didn't find any thread on this issue. Are there other people that also notice this "latency" and can anyone reassure me that Ivory does not have this "problem"?

Thanks
    Louis

Re: Do Ivory samples start at hammer-strike?

I shouldn't be commenting in public prior to a review coming out, but my mouth is too big and I can't help it.

There are two equally important aspects to a sampled piano, in my opinion: the sound, and the way it's mapped to the keyboard. I'd almost say the second is more important, beyond a certain level, and Ivory's keyboard mapping is perfect.

The Kurzweil K250 grand from 21 years ago, which was also done by Joe Ierardi, is also mapped perfectly. That's why it's only recently been surpassed, despite only having one velocity layer and fitting into a few hundred kilobytes - not MB, not GB, but kilobytes.

The answer is Yes, in other words.

Unhappy Re: Do Ivory samples start at hammer-strike?

Louis,
    i'm also suffering this problem with my Kontakt Emperor.
    that is particularly stronger in the upper range.
    i've been now spending more than 20-22 hours trying to adjust the sample start in kontakt of every sample but unfortunately it's not always possible: some would need a cut at the beginning and a very short (i guess around 1 ms) fade in to avoid glitches. I'm not an expert in the field but looking at the sample in the black grand demo i believe that the emperor samples would need some editing and, yes, a much better programming.it's really a pity because i'm so much in love with these piano...

mario

Quote Originally Posted by mariobolo
    Louis,
    i'm also suffering this problem with my Kontakt Emperor.
    that is particularly stronger in the upper range.
    Hi folks,
    Please download the latest multi's from our website: EMPEROR UPDATE Jan11
    And OLD LADY UPDATE Jan11
    11 new patches for each piano, all with adjusted sample starts, special settings for brighter piano and some LE versions.
    Also the release layer has an updated time-couter for more realistic behavior.

please try these...
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Hmmmm, seems I did miss some threads on this topic. Now I'm back to my old problem of not being able to choose between all these pianos...

Louis

Go Back to forum