• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Mac user needs Windows help

Share/Bookmark

OT - Mac user needs Windows help

Since you're all my friends I thought you might me able to help me. I switched to a Mac several years ago. My wife uses Windows. She bought a new laptop a year ago with XP Pro. All she uses it for is word processing and online stuff. Her computer has slowed down considerably in the last year. I ran disk cleanup, defragmented the hard drive and bought SpySweeper to gid rid of the spyware. It's still runnning slow.

I want to fix this for her but I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: OT - Mac user needs Windows help

Well, several things come to mind…

1) Is the computer left on a lot? If so, Windows doesn’t clean itself up very well in terms of memory usage. Try a re-boot and see if it runs any faster. I usually reboot 5-6 times a day.

2) You might have a bad cluster on your hard drive…go to “my computer”, right click on drive c: ,select “properties”, then “tools” then “error checking”. Tick the box labeled “check system errors”, leave the “bad sector check” un ticked. It will ask you to reboot…do so.

3) Check the system tray to see what is running (bottom right corner) if there is a lot of stuff, it will slow you down.

4) Hold down “Ctrl”+”Alt”+”Delete” ONE TIME!. This will being up the task manager. Note the CPU usage and Page file usage.

5) Make sure you have UNINSTALLED programs rather than just deleting them…the registry will grind to a halt after a while if this has not been done.

6) Use a registry (Not disk) defrag utility…Careful! This can get dangerous if your new to this stuff.

7) Possible Trojan or Virus…but usually not

Report back to me if you have no luck. Laptops are very unstable in this regard. I have fixed a million of them for every desktop.

Good Luck!

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

How much ram is in the laptop? If less than 512 MB put more in it.

If that is no help then save what you need onto another disk and then erase the laptops drive and reinstall Windows.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Thanks guys, these suggestions are great.

The laptop is not left on a lot. She turns it on each day and works for 5-6 hours, then shuts it down. I'll check for the bad cluster and the system tray.

When I bring up the task manager what range should the CPU usage and page file usage be in?

What is a registry defrag utility? I ran the defrag utility that's located in the system tools.

She's got 512 RAM installed. When opening a WORD document, sometimes it takes 30 seconds to open. It used to take 5.

I'll try these suggestions and hope they work.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Thanks guys, these suggestions are great.

The laptop is not left on a lot. She turns it on each day and works for 5-6 hours, then shuts it down. I'll check for the bad cluster and the system tray.

When I bring up the task manager what range should the CPU usage and page file usage be in?

What is a registry defrag utility? I ran the defrag utility that's located in the system tools.

She's got 512 RAM installed. When opening a WORD document, sometimes it takes 30 seconds to open. It used to take 5.

I'll try these suggestions and hope they work.

JT

Well now, some good ideas here. Here are some more thoughts. When checking the disk, it is also important to run a surface scan, with error correction enabled. This can take a long! time, but can sure improve performance drastically. On my computer, with a 1.8 gig clock and 1 gig hard drive, it will take at leasts two hours.

Another thought: If you have Norton Utilities, running Win Doctor on a regular basis cleans up lots of problems of the sort that will slow down your computer. I think this is what was the kind of thing intended by registry cleanup? I never take the "let Win Doctor chose which correction" option. That can give some wierd results. Also with Norton, run the fast and safe cleanup option. If Win Doctor has never before been run on the computer, the number of errors found can be expected to be in the hundreds. What I would do is click on DETAILS, then select the errors, and repair with the option of Delete the invalid registry entry and Use this type of repair on all problems. Otherwise, you may find the Norton corrections a bit strange sometimes.

There is a surface scan utiility in system tools, but I find the Norton's more sensible.

Final consideration: is the slow loading on everything, or specific files? What about file size? What is the speed of find and replace within the word processor?

Post final consideration: Are the temporary internet files purged regularly? Probably are if you have run the Norton utilities. Otherwise, My Computer, properties, disk cleanup.

Parting shot: when al else fails, hit it with a baseball bat.

Richard

Go Back to forum