• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano on Garrison Keillor's show?

Share/Bookmark

Piano on Garrison Keillor's show?

Just listened to The Prairie Home Companion on NPR and was struck by how good the piano sounded on my home system. (I usually hear it in the car, where the speakers are less than great.) Anyone know what piano they use? Sounds like a Yamaha at times, but the upper midrange and high notes sounded rounder than a Yamaha. Great sound, regardless.

Yes, I want a sample set with that sound--not a "rock" sound, but not dark or classical.

After all, isn't there a shortage of piano samples right now?

Re: Piano on Garrison Keillor's show?

Thanks. Yes, the Duluth show. (You know him?)

I'll ask the question I shouldn't ask--does anyone know of a piano library that has a similar sound? (The many good Steinways seem to often be trying for more of a classical sound.)

Thanks for doing that. The piano sounded great, particularly in the last few minutes of the show, during his soloing.

So, yes. I love the sound of a lot of the piano libraries out there, but I'd really like to find that beat up Steinway.

It must have been the specific piano that did it for me--listening to the Keillor show from their home base, the sound isn't nearly as good, though I love D.'s playing.

Must be cold in Duluth right now. Good weather for staying inside and putting some warm mics in a piano...

hv

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    It must have been the specific piano that did it for me--listening to the Keillor show from their home base, the sound isn't nearly as good, though I love D.'s playing.

Must be cold in Duluth right now. Good weather for staying inside and putting some warm mics in a piano...
    I record a festival up there every couple of years which always seems to use the same pair of vintage Steinway grands. They tell me that for events like that, the same pianos usually get brought in from a rental place in Minneapolis. I'll see if I can get a contact name and number.

If you're looking for a great sounding, exquisitely maintained vintage Steinway to sample, my all time favorite is located at the Historical Society in Indianapolis... just up the road a piece from where Kip McGinnis lives.

Howard

You reading this, Kip? HV--sounds as though you'd be in a good situation to record this. I'm not sure the "well-maintained" aspect is good, though. The piano that was on the Duluth show was apparently in bad shape. Maybe the pins need to be loose or the strings old to get the sound I want...

hv

I understand from the piano festival organizer I work with in Duluth that it's very likely that Schmitts in Minneapolis supplied the Steinway as a rental for the show. In fact it might be the same Schmitts rental my wife played accross the bridge in Superior, WI back in 1993 which a friend on mine happened to record live to dat:

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/St Louis Blues.mp3

Here's their number: (800) 920-9540

Howard

(St. Louis Blues)

WOW!

I listen to a lot of "example" recordings but I never save them. This one I saved with my regular MP3's.

Thanks

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by hv
    I understand from the piano festival organizer I work with in Duluth that it's very likely that Schmitts in Minneapolis supplied the Steinway as a rental for the show. In fact it might be the same Schmitts rental my wife played accross the bridge in Superior, WI back in 1993 which a friend on mine happened to record live to dat:

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/St Louis Blues.mp3

Here's their number: (800) 920-9540

Howard
    Tell your wife she's very talented.

hv

She thanks you!

I described the rig used to create recording in another thread which is what prompted me to dredge it up:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...642#post264642

It's a piano recording technique which runs counter to conventional wisdom and might make a wonderful sampling approach.

Howard

Go Back to forum