• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where the Cool Waters Flow

Share/Bookmark

Where the Cool Waters Flow

No it’s not ground hog day! But I am crawling out of my burro with something new. Recently, I have been working on numerous songs, orchestrations, etc. Though they just tend to fall by the side and I never get around to finishing them. All of this to say that I have been a busy little beaver – I just have nothing to show for it.

But alas,this is a little piece I wrote a while back that I had filed away for the day I might do something with it. I came across it again this weekend and decided to take a stab at setting it to orchestra. I have no idea as to what style this is – it has a ‘European Folk Song’ quality about it. The original piano line is still in tack while new melodies and counter melodies fill out the piece.

I was dreading trying to orchestrate the first half because I had no idea as to how to fill it out. After digging in it fell right into place. The second half I thought would be so easy – I was so wrong! That part took a whole lot of work.

It is super short at only 1:43. No development here! Just in and out.

http://www.williamwest.org/accets/th...aters_Flow.mp3

Now to settle in for a long winters nap! (Three more months til spring!)

William
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Thumbs up Re: Where the Cool Waters Flow

Well now such a nice piece of music. I love the overall flow of the composition and it left me wanting to hear more.
    I wasn't clear as to what you used for orchestration. Did you mix GPO with other sound sources?
    Very nice.
    Styxx

Re: Where the Cool Waters Flow

Hello Mr. Styxx, thank you for your comments!

The orchestration is all GPO - I tried my best to apply Nicole's Tutorial by adding solo strings in with the section strings (you can hear them pop up above every now and then). I also used alot of leggato (pedal) and alot of modwheel. I keep trying.....I was joking with Nicole ...I told her that she had taken all the good players and left me with the rest! I have tried bribing them, paying them with Francseco's Pizza and you see what I've got! (Please note that if it isn't up to snuff it isn't Gary's or GPO's Fault (I take complete responsibility! )

Basically I used:
    2 Flutes (V and NV)
    2 Oboes (Oboe D'Amour and Classical)
    1 English Horn Solo
    1 Bassoon Solo
    2 French Horns (Solo1 and Solo2)
    2 Trumpets (Solo1 and Solo2)
    1 Tenor Trombone Solo
    Timpani
    Tubular Bells
    Section Strings:
    Vilolins 1 (Sus-Short)
    Violins 2 (Sus-Short)
    Violas (Sus-Short)
    Cellos (Sus-Short)
    Basses (Sus-Short)
    Solo Strings:
    Violin Strad Solo
    Violin Gagli Solo
    Viola Solo
    Cello Solo

Each instrument was given its own track in Sonar 3. All instruments are set with there original configuration with the exception of the bells and timpani as I made these slightly louder than the way they load. Only other thing of note, I used a little Var1 and Var2 on the solo strings (though I must admit I just moved the knobs with little thought as to how much etc.).
    www.williamwest.org

Wow, let me hear that again tonight on my monitors.
    Styxx

Unhappy Re: Where the Cool Waters Flow

I forgot to mention that after the mix was recorded dry I added a convulution reverb with Sonic Foundry's Accoustic Mirror and added a little boost with Waves' L1-Ultramaximizer+.

That's all the monkeying around I did - I think. I tend to stay on the beaten path as I know so little about editing the final mix (EQ, Compression etc. - its all a mystery to me).
    www.williamwest.org

Quote Originally Posted by William West
    I forgot to mention that after the mix was recorded dry I added a convulution reverb with Sonic Foundry's Accoustic Mirror and added a little boost with Waves' L1-Ultramaximizer+.

That's all the monkeying around I did - I think. I tend to stay on the beaten path as I know so little about editing the final mix (EQ, Compression etc. - its all a mystery to me).
    I have Sonic Foundry but every time I try to use Acoustic Mirror a window pops up with a link for upgrade? I thought it was part of the initial package. Was this an option at one time?
    Styxx

I believe there were 2 versions at one time. One was esentially a Lite version and one was the Full Version (which cost twice as much or more). Accoustic Mirror was availlable only in the Full Version from what I recall.
    www.williamwest.org

William, sorry it took so long for me to get around to listening to this...

Anyways, very nicely done. I love the orchestration. There were some points that I felt the counterpointal melody could have used a boost, but that's me being niggly. I love the percussion lines, not too much but very effective. A tremendous effort. It is so nice to see you posting works again.

Go Back to forum